Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

using GK mb200 as a preamp

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Kevinlee, Jan 20, 2004.

1. Kevinlee

Kevinlee

May 15, 2001
    Phx, AZ..USA
    How could I use a GK mb200 as a preamp? Could I take the line out and send it into a seperate power amp? Would that bypass the GK's power section? I got this amp to use mainly on occasions that I didn't need a bigger rig. But I was thinking in a pinch, if my main amp was down I could use this preamp into a power amp. I really like the preamp section of this amp, and it does get quite loud on it's own with an extension cab. But I was just wondering if I could run a seperate power amp with it if the need arose.

Thanks
    Kevinlee

2. mje

mje

Aug 1, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    The line out on the GK is microphone level- like in the neighborhood of 50mv. It's meant to go into a PA or recording board. Not enough voltage to drive most power amps which want to see a volt or two.

3. captnmervo

captnmervo

Oct 14, 2008
    What about using the DI output into a power amp?

4. jmlee

jmlee Catgut? Not funny. Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2005
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Reviving zombie thread to correct this. Just tried this idea out with my new Crest Pro-Lite 2.0. The line out from the MB200 has oodles of oomph, as much as my BBE BMax Preamp--and it sounds terrific!

MR PC likes this.
  5. Bassmunnky

Bassmunnky

Jul 3, 2004
    New York and Philadelphia
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball MusicMan Guitars
    I've been wondering this myself - I personally prefer the sound and tone of the MB200 over all of the the Gk heads (500. 800, etc)

I use it for 90% of my gigs- and if I needed to get louder well I wanted to get a little power amp and hook up to a 410.

Is this what you're doing?

6. jmlee

Jun 16, 2005
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Yup, precisely! The bottom is a Greenboy Fearless 112 (which will in principle at least take 900 watts) and the Crest amp (in a little 2U roto-moulded rack) will throw even more than that bridged. For bigger gigs I use the power amp; for smaller ones and rehearsal I just use the MB200. It's a great preamp.

krejza and Bassmunnky like this.
  7. gerry grable

gerry grable Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2010
    Just for my info, the MB200 is not the same as the model 200 MB GK that I use? Correct? The letter/number order does matter? Correct?
    I think Dennis Ervin was using one like mine in the John Scofield video that was on TB a few days ago. I still use my amp after too many years to remember. I did have a speaker replaced but it still works well --other than the chorus feature which I've never used anyway. I've never had a use for it. If I want vibrato, I just use my hand.

8. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    Yeah the old 200MB combo is a different amp from the MB200 head. But I believe it will run with the speaker turned off? Difference in EQ voicing aside it will function as a preamp in the manner being discussed here.

The DI out on the MB200 can go into any amp or preamp capable of receiving a balanced signal. You can go XLR out of the head to XLR or 1/4" RTS into a power amp. You can also go XLR out to 1/8" RTS into the Aux Input designed to accommodate your iPod or other audio source that's found on many bass amps these days.

If you can find one the SWR Amplite is a great 400w mono power amp that's about the same size as the MB200.

Bassmunnky and gerry grable like this.
  9. robgrow

robgrow Supporting Member

May 1, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I think a lot of people don't know about the GK 200MB combo these days. It was the forerunner of the current MB150 combo, and has been out of production for many years. To make things more confusing, GK sort of recycled the name when they introduced the MB200 head more recently. I've owned the old GK 200MB combo and the current GK MB200 amp, and, to me, they sound very different.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2015
  10. Bassmunnky

Bassmunnky

Jul 3, 2004

Looking at the Swr amplite- it looks like it only has the Neutrik inputs and outputs on the back- how would that work? Use the 1/4" line out?

11. jmlee

Jun 16, 2005
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Throw a button on the back of the MB200 head and the RTS LINE OUT becomes a headphone jack. I use the AUX IN to plug in my laptop, bass in the front and rehearse merrily through phones with only that little box on my desk. One more thing to love.

Bassmunnky likes this.
  12. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    It's a combo XLR/1/4" TRS jack. You can go from the MB200 DI to the Amplite with a regular XLR cable.

Bassmunnky likes this.
  13. Bassmunnky

Bassmunnky

Jul 3, 2004
    That's the answer! Thank you.

Wish Gk would make a little amp but this is great