Utility pedal to blend 2 preamp pedals? Xotic X-Blender?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bdhoward27, Feb 26, 2022.

1. I’m looking at the possibility of blending 2 preamp pedals in parallel with the turn of one blend knob. I think I found the right tool for the job, but I would like to ask the community prior to making an investment to see if there’s something I’m missing, or if another utility pedal would work better…

The Xotic X-Blender is my main contender. I’ve got others on my radar, too. The wet/dry knob is mainly what I’m looking for. I’m open to recommendations...

For a visual, let’s say one of the preamp pedals is a Darkglass B7K V2 preamp that has a clean parallel output. I’ll refer to it as Preamp 1 and the other as Preamp 2. Since Preamp 1 can split the signal path with a clean parallel output, it will be feeding a clean signal into the Input of Preamp 2. Therefore, both of the outputs coming from the preamp pedals will be feeding this utility pedal...

I’m thinking that if I put the output of Preamp 1 into the Input of the Xotic X-Blender, and the output of Preamp 2 into the FX loop Return of the X-Blender, then I should achieve what I set out to do, right?

In this scenario, Preamp 2 shouldn’t be influenced by the signal coming from Preamp 1, correct?

Turning the main knob to “Dry” would be 100% Preamp 1, “Wet” would be 100% Preamp 2, knob at noon would be a 50/50 blend, etc?

Also, it seems that dealing with phase issues shouldn’t be an issue since the signal path diagram of the X-Blender seems to show that the polarity of the phase can be flipped post-FX return, if I’m understanding it correctly...

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

2. Bump

3. jpaulo

jpaulo

Aug 18, 2018
    Sao Paulo / Brazil
    I have never used it but the X-Blender seems to has some nice features like phase inversion, boost and some EQ.

I’m using the Boss DS-2 to blend different inputs (line, channel A, channel B) or select among the 3 of them.
    The 2 send/return channels (A/B) have volume control on each that might allows for a wet/dry emulation, not sure what you would be looking for.
    I often have 2 basses mixed in the channels to compare their tone.
    Alternatively, it also allows the selection of outputs (like sending the signal to different amps).

Very versatile, check the user manual for sample usages.

BOSS - LS-2 | Line Selector

Good luck on your search!

bdhoward27 likes this.