Value of banged up German made Warwick

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GStone, May 15, 2019.

1. GStone

GStone

May 15, 2019
    Short version, I have my eye on a German made Warwick Standard STD for $900. It has some scratches and dings which I do t care about if it’s bringing the price down. Doing my own search I can only find German made Warwicks for around $2,000. So it seems great to me. I am not sure what the “standard” means, the Warwick website only list the “LX” and the “Stage” so am wondering is this is discontinued. I’d this is a jump on it kind of deal or a wait and keep your eye out stuff like this pops up all the time let me know. Here’s some pics

Long version - I am coming back to playing music after 18 years after the second band I was in fell apart (1st was drug related death, 2nd more complicated). With no one else to play with I drifted away. Now I have a pull to play again just for myself. Years and years ago I played a Warwick but couldn’t afford it and said someday - and now I can but I can’t find one on the shelves of any music store to play and see what I like! I called the distributor and they said it’s a 7 hour drive to a place that has German Warwicks in stock. So I figure buying a used one is less risk. Who knows I may end up with a Stingray - but real music stores are going away and the only basses I can find are the budget line of the actual bass. Everyone says play them both and see what you like but I am finding that difficult to actually do. Thanks anyone for input.

Attached Files:

ObsessiveArcher and TolerancEJ like this.
  2. Sid the Kid

Sid the Kid Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2013
    Illinois
    That is an old Rockbass Warwick. New they retailed for $5-600. Not a real German Warwick, that’s why you can’t find it.

In beat up used shape I would give maybe $??? if it played well.

I do not believe they were made in Germany. I believe they were made in China and setup/assembled in Germany. I may be wrong, but these were bottom of the barrel.

mcnach, Aqualung60, TuneIn and 2 others like this.
  3. Warpeg

Warpeg

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    We can't give you a value until you become a Supporting Member (forum rules), but I can tell you that this bass was the lowest end of the German-made models at the time.

4. Sid the Kid

Jun 7, 2013
    Illinois
  5. NicJimBass

NicJimBass Flossin'? I thought your name was Munson!

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    Hipshot
    Based on the neck, which looks like Ovangkal, I'd say it is a German Warwick, but a low end one. I believe the Rockbass line has only come with maple necks, unless I'm way off base.

Reedt2000 likes this.
  6. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    I wouldn't call that bass "banged up". I consider that normal playing wear.

$900 for that bass is high. Those Standards frequently go for under $700.

Nunovsky, Reedt2000 and TolerancEJ like this.
  7. GStone

GStone

May 15, 2019
    I really appreciate it - I got them down to $800 and from what I’m understanding it is a low end but still German bass.

8. Sid the Kid

Jun 7, 2013
    Illinois
    You aren’t off base. Some rockbasses did have ovangkol necks, I know the Steve Bailey Rockbass does.

I might be wrong about this particular model, but I do believe this was the intro to the Rockbass line.

The pickups, the body wood, and the bridge all scream not a German Warwick to me. While it may well be a German Warwick I wouldn’t expect it to have the desirable “Warwick” tone. I would not settle on this piece.

9. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    This isn’t exactly accurate.

The forum rules prohibit “What is MY crap worth?” threads.

All members and guests are always permitted to ask the going rate on gear they may wish to purchase.

10. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    Can't tell if those are bronze frets or durrrtay nickel frets. Either way, it's a Rockbass. $200.

A well used MIG STD Corvette/Streamer goes for $5-700 usually, MIG STD Thumbs and Fortresses a bit more. Often they haven't been waxed in a long time and need it.

Be aware, ~2000-2010 the Standard series had some fat necks. I like them, but they're definitely different.

Last edited: May 15, 2019
    Brother Goose likes this.
  11. Mildew Jones

Mildew Jones

Dec 18, 2014
    I have this same bass, Streamer STD...mine is German, but, yes, it's the lower line at that time, a GC purchase. Was a gift to me, but I think at the time '99, it was $800-$900 new. Anemic sounding passive, sounded much better after putting an Aguilar pre in it...I'd hold out for a nicer used Warwick, with the 2 piece bridge setup. That 1 piece bridge bends, mine is lifting (never noticed until I started reading up on that model here)
    Good luck, welcome back to the low end!
    MJ

design likes this.
  12. UNICORN BASS

UNICORN BASS

Feb 10, 2016
    Michigan USA
    No adjust a nut.

13. InhumanResource

InhumanResource

Dec 28, 2012
    Even down to $800 I wouldn't do it. You can find German corvette 5's in the 800-1k range though they seem to be climbing in price lately.

Last edited: May 16, 2019
  14. GStone

GStone

May 15, 2019
    I genuinely appreciate y’all taking the time with all the great replies. I’m surprised how fast I got so much good info. Looks like I’ll pass on this one, glad I asked some experts first. Is there a resource that I could do my one research on so that I could answer these type of questions myself? I had no idea to even think about a two piece pick up for example. I figured a German made low end was better than a top end Rockbass. I’ve looked through the Warwick website but there’s not a lot of detail. For example I have the serial here but don’t know where to begin to figure out what it indicates.

Attached Files:

15. OptimalOptimus

OptimalOptimus

Jan 4, 2019
    Canada
    Here yo go, unless I read the serial number wrong
    warwickcode.JPG

16. JeroB666

JeroB666

Dec 22, 2012
    Canada
    I looked it up on the warwick support site and it was made in Germany.

en/Framus---Support--Serial-Number.html

Serial number:
    G07696600
    Article number:

produced:
    Description:
    Streamer Standard, 5-string
    Nirvana Black Oil finish
    Carolena body
    Ovangkol neck
    Chrome hardware

Made in Germany

MattZilla, EatS1stBassist and design like this.
  17. GStone

GStone

May 15, 2019
    Again, all over it. This will be a great help as I shop for used German Warwick. Does this info change anything or still a pass?

18. Look on Reverb or the classifieds here. I wouldn’t get hosed just because it’s German.

19. edr

edr

Mar 28, 2019
    (somewhat off topic form OP, sorry)

I got one of these in 2017 from a Guitar Center, but for closer to 800 I think. I love mine, but the one in the store had a ridiculous dead spot on the low D, and possibly other issues. I don't remember much besides that.
    I got the store to ship me an identical one from a different location, tested it, and it was everything I had hoped for.
    I'd say "try before you buy" with that one. I'm thinking that the rockbass line doesn't have the same level of quality control as their other lines.

Sid the Kid likes this.
  20. What's with the bridge? Never seen anything but China rockbasses with that bridge

MattZilla and N4860 like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021