1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Vektor + Full Circle + Headway EDB-1 = WOW!

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by hensonbass, May 6, 2010.

1. hensonbass

hensonbass Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    I've been in the studio recording my 5-string Christopher DB all this week with a country/folk/rock band. The engineer/producer wanted me to track with just my pickups going direct because there is no isolation in the big room for a microphone.

I'm running mostly the Vektor pickup at 75% and blending in about 25% Full-circle with the Headway EDB-1 preamp and DI'ing to the mixing desk. The tone I'm getting is the best I've ever heard myself recorded. The engineer is just blown away at how much 'wood' is in the tone while still being even and punchy in all registers. He told me there is no sonic reason to re-track with a microphone. This producer has tracked a lot of upright bass sessions and is a player himself.

Man it feels so great to track upright and be able to hear every note go down so easy. Then I hear the playback with no eq and the bass just sits right in the mix.

2. hensonbass

Feb 25, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
  3. gcordez

gcordez

Jul 14, 2008
    Bristol,UK
    Mate, thats sounds great. I use the DYN-B and go for a similar-ish sound.
    Nice playing too.

4. hensonbass

Feb 25, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Thanks- I heard one of those on a friends bass and it sounded nice. He said it was all about finding the sweet spot!