1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Vents Vents Vents!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by groucho, Apr 5, 2015.

1. groucho

groucho

Sep 28, 2005
    Ringwood NJ
    I have been reorganizing and modularizing my gig rig. Selling off some cabs and
    buying a 2nd AVATAR 2-10 cab. As I can lift them by myself
    (two back surgeries last year means my SVT 8-10 cab is NOT leaving the studio!)

Has anyone noticed any difference in bass performance - If they face multiple
    small stacked cabs with the vents co-joined - or - at ends ?
    Or just ignoring that and simply stacking ?

Since these cabs have the vents that are a long slot along the bottom of the cab,
    you can have them with one upside down and the vents working together, or
    a vent top and a vent bottom by flipping one.

2. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    If appropriately designed, the vents or ports are only going to pass very low notes, that are in the omnidirectional range, and it doesn't matter where they are placed.

Stack the 2x10" vertically for the best performance in the other frequencies

mbelue and Downunderwonder like this.
  3. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    When I got my pair of 2x10s I set them up in every configuration I could think of to see what they sounded like. You should too. And play from 3ft away to 20ft. It'll be a half hour well spent to get to know your equipment.

Wild Rice Chris likes this.
  4. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, ChopShopAmps
    You're on to something there, though, sort of. It definitely makes a difference putting HIGH frequency or tweeters as close to each other as possible. So, if your cabs have tweeters or at least a mid driver, you can see improvement by stacking the cabs with those drivers near each other.

seamonkey likes this.