Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

vhs to dvd or mpeg conversion

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Wademeister63, Feb 1, 2005.

1. Wademeister63

Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    I have a video of my bands first performance ever and I need to get it on DVD and get a copy for everyone. I'd also like to be able to put the songs onto MPEGs so I can post them for everyones enjoyment...or annoyment, haha!
    I've seen some serviced online where I can ship the tape off and get DVD's made, but it doesn't seem like it should be all that bad. Are there local places that do that, like Wal Mart, or Best Buy or something?

2. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    well, the chepaest way to do it would be to use or borrow a Digital camcorder to record what's on the tape, and then capture the video to a computer that has a DVD burner on it. That's what I do.

Other than that, and you're going to pat a lot of money....

3. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    We have a new computer at home that you are able to connect a VCR to one of the inputs (on the TV card I think) and capture the video that way.

I will try to find the technical info for you when I get home later.

4. lowendgod

lowendgod

Feb 25, 2004
    Yakima, WA.
    if you have a way to connect your vcr to you computer just capture that on your harddrive and then there is a cheap program that converts about any type of file to a dvd format if i remember it burns it to dvd also (if you have a dvd burner in your computer of course) it is called (dvd santa) they may even have a free download cant remember

lowendgod

5. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    If it is a once-in-a-while deal, the cheapest solution is to take it to a video shop that does transfers. I paid about $15 for the first copy when i last did this. I have a DVD burner so I make the duplicates on my machine.

Pete

6. Get Pinnacle Studio with a capture card, I think it's around $80 now for the package. Plug your VCR into the capture card, then use the Studio software to edit it, then burn it to DVD with your DVD burner. Piece of cake...in theory...

Actually, I've done this with around a dozen VHS tapes. It worked pretty well, only it's kinda time consuming.

7. Wademeister63

Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    Cool stuff, thanks guys. Looks like anything I'm going to do by myself will be pretty expensive and I don't know when or if I'll ever need to copy another VHS tape. I'll just send it off to be copied.