Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

VHT Valvulator 1 buffer question

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Tedintheshed, Feb 28, 2006.

1. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    This from this VHT sight:

I use EMG's in all of my basses. This is from the EMG site:

So the question is: Since the EMG's produce a low impedence signal already it seems, is the Valvulator 1 any real benefit in the signal chain as a buffer?

2. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    No, it will not help as a buffer since you do not need one. It could be argued that the tube will help the tone, but not the buffer.

The buffer could help high impedance passive basses. Although for cable runs under say 40' I prefer the high end loss.

3. marc40a

marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    No need for additional buffering.

4. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    It could also be argued that the tube will degrade your tone. Also, running low impedance stuff like the Valvulator into certain types of analogue effects such as fuzzes and overdrives will actually cause them to not respond the way they should.

5. seanm

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Agreed. However, Tedintheshed has a low impedance output so those fuzzes and ODs will already have problems. And the valvulator could be put after the fuzz to solve the problem. An active preamp cannot.

6. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    I have no problems with any of the three fuzzes/OD's/Distortions that I use.

7. seanm

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Yes, most will work fine. Some of the older fuzz designs *required* a high impedance input to work since they worked by loading down the pickup. If you had tried one of these older designs with an active bass you would have said "Oh man, this sucks" and moved on ;)

8. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    I remember this now- they relied on the 1+ megaohm load.

Thanks,

Ted

9. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    This the response from VHT:

10. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Ted -

How long are the cable runs between your bass and your pedalboard, the total signal "length" of your pedal board, and the length of the cable between the pedal board and the amp?

Joe

11. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    20 foot from amp to pedal board, and 20 feet to pedal board to bass.

The pedal board will utilize a 5 looper so it shouldn't be a factor.

12. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    In my (humble) opinion, you probably need a buffer either at the end of your chain, or at the start. But remember, always fuzz and wah before buffer :)

13. dorfmeister

dorfmeister

Apr 3, 2008
    I am trying to figure out how significant the fuzz/buffer issue is. I've got a Malekko Germanium Assmaster that is an essential part of my chain but I am really intrigued by the Valvulator.

14. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    The fuzz/buffer issue doesn't effect the assmaster. It's got built in protection for input impedance :)

EDIT: Also, I wish Tedintheshed still posted here.