Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Vibration???

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by ninthwondernj, Aug 20, 2004.

1. could anyone advise a good technique for stopping the G,D, and A strings from vibratiting when playing notes on the E string?

2. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Muting. But hey, some people dig vibrating G strings.

3. i know that i have 2 mute them...but like what would be a correct way to mute the G, D and A strings?

4. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    well, your fretting hand's other fingers should be laying on them when you're fretting the E string. Not tight enough to fret other strings, just laying against them and thus stopping them from moving. This happens naturally for most of us though, I wouldn't know how to force it.

5. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Jammadave said:
    "your fretting hand's other fingers should be laying on them when you're fretting the E string."

Yup. I'm a stickler about sympathetic vibrations, so I always try to use a 'precisely sloppy' left hand technique.

When I practice my parts for band songs by myself, I'm always thinking "Dang! Have I been letting that one ring like that?!"

Joe

6. Bezo

Bezo

Aug 10, 2004
    A friend of mine is able to mute strings with is ring finger and pinky on his plucking hand, but he wears his bass parallel to the ground. I wear mine at about 45 degrees and couldn't do it comfortably.

7. CrazyArcher

CrazyArcher

Aug 5, 2004
    Israel
    The only usable way I know is to mute the strings with index finger and fret with middle ind ring fingers... It's like playing the F chord on guitar, lol :)