1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Vibration???

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by ninthwondernj, Aug 20, 2004.

1. could anyone advise a good technique for stopping the G,D, and A strings from vibratiting when playing notes on the E string?

2. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Muting. But hey, some people dig vibrating G strings.

3. i know that i have 2 mute them...but like what would be a correct way to mute the G, D and A strings?

4. someone? lol

5. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    well, your fretting hand's other fingers should be laying on them when you're fretting the E string. Not tight enough to fret other strings, just laying against them and thus stopping them from moving. This happens naturally for most of us though, I wouldn't know how to force it.

6. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Jammadave said:
    "your fretting hand's other fingers should be laying on them when you're fretting the E string."

Yup. I'm a stickler about sympathetic vibrations, so I always try to use a 'precisely sloppy' left hand technique.

When I practice my parts for band songs by myself, I'm always thinking "Dang! Have I been letting that one ring like that?!"

Joe

7. Bezo

Bezo

Aug 10, 2004
    A friend of mine is able to mute strings with is ring finger and pinky on his plucking hand, but he wears his bass parallel to the ground. I wear mine at about 45 degrees and couldn't do it comfortably.

8. CrazyArcher

CrazyArcher

Aug 5, 2004
    Israel
    The only usable way I know is to mute the strings with index finger and fret with middle ind ring fingers... It's like playing the F chord on guitar, lol :)