1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Victor, Oteil, and Anthony, Oh My!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by SoComSurfing, Oct 3, 2003.

1. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I now know the meaning of "shock and awe". Saw the Victor Wooten band last night at the Workplay Theatre in Birmingham, Al. WOW. I've listened to live performances, I've seen the DVDs, I've seen him with the Flecktones, but nothing prepared me for this. For the first hour of the show I just stood there like a deer in headlights. Not only is Victor incredible, but those were the tightest musicians I have ever seen in my life! I think my date for the show was even more in awe than I was, and she'd never even heard of Victor Wooten.
    After about an hour, the entire band left the stage while Rudy did his thing on the sax. When the band rejoined him, Oteil was with them. WOW! For about 20 minutes Vic and Oteil jammed, and then were joined by Anthony. That was stellar! The whole band was highlighted. I was right next to the drums, so during the drum break Oteil came and stood with me and Ivie to get a better view. Even he couldn't believe the madness flowing from that kit! I thanked Mr. Burbridge for his incredible jam and told him I'd be seeing him in New Orleans in a few weeks.
    For just under 4 hours, I stood in one place with my jaw on the floor. The tour's almost over, but if there is anyone left who hasn't seen the Victor Wooten Band, it MUST be done. Go!

2. Drocdbase

Drocdbase Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2002
    Alabama
    SoCom,
    you are right brother, that show last night was awesome. Don't forget Divinty was in the house too, oh yeah she was rapping while grooving on bass for one of her spots, that was nice. They are in North Carolina tonight, my drummer is located there, so I called and warned him about the show. Glad you enjoyed the show, hey I hear you goes have a festival this weekend down there,
    who's playing

3. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    you are sooooo lucky!!

oteil will be in austin in a few weeks and i'm excited (unless i have to gig)

4. SoComSurfing

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Drocdbase-
    I wish I'd known another TBer was going to be at the show! We could have met up! I guess that "festival" you mean is URL=www.bayfest.com]Bayfest[/URL]. Yeah, it's pretty crappy. I haven't been the past few years, and this year I've decided to skip it and stay a few days up here in B'ham. That link should name the bands playing. Only ones I would have been interested in a Hootie and the Blowfish, Better Than Ezra, and Ludacris. :rolleyes:
    You wouldn't happen to know anyone who recorded the show the other night, would you? I would LOVE to have a bootleg of that. I think I might know of one person, but am not sure yet. If you know of anyone, PLEASE let me know.
    Nojazz-
    Oteil & the Peacemakers will be at the HOB in New Orleans in a few weeks. I REALLY hope to make that show. His drummer did a bit of playing while Oteil was jamming with Vic. Very nice stuff. His band should put on a very good show.

5. Drocdbase

Drocdbase Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2002
    Alabama
    Socom,
    I ran across this guy I thought was a taper (he was - nice gear too.)and at the same time Regi was just getting in from dinner and who do I talk to, you guessed it - Regi. I gave the guy my info, hopefully he didn't lose it and call me. If you run across a copy could you remember me. Until then I will start checking some of the live music sites to see if any of Victor shows are beginning to show up. If you don't mind I'll keep you in mind if I find anything.
    PEACE

6. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    I was at the Show in Charlotte NC on Friday... It was amazing.. I was going to go to the show in ashville... but I had too much work to do... Great show though.. and all those guys are so nice

7. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    Man, I hate that I missed that show! I was hoping to go, just didn't work out.

So what's Workplay like Adron? We're playing there on the 14th. I'm horrified to think that I'll be polluting the same stage those masters graced...

8. SoComSurfing

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Mark, the Workplay is an AWESOME place! I think you'll really enjoy the venue for your gig. That will be a fantastic place to do it. The sound and lighting was great. I was planning on coming up to see y'all do Nosferatu, but two problems came up: 1)I think I have a test the next day. 2)I think I blew a head gasket on the way out of B'ham. Left my friend's apartment at noon, got home at 4:00 this morning. :(
    Droc- I'll keep you informed if I find anything out. I may know of one person who was recording it, but won't get to check that out until I take care of the previously mentioned car problem.

9. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i just saw oteil in austin - he and his band were awesome!!!

does anyone know which pedal he uses for auto wah - an mxr auto q or mxr bass auto q?