Victor Wooten's solo in Dave Matthews #41

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by peedu07, Dec 16, 2004.

1. Hello there.

I've been stunned for the last 6 months with the solo that victor does with dave matthews band in a song called #41 (i think its this song). I'm quite familiar to victor work, I've wathced all the bass day videos and the video with carter beauford for dozens of times. But when I ever need inspiration for playing or writing I turn on the small video clip of the solo with DMB (found in most of P2P programs as a quicktime movie file)

Why I adore it is because it seems to me like he can put everything what is inside him (I'm sure theres a lot of more though) out into the 2 and a half minutes of solo. All the melodical parts. It's just so ingenious that it makes me almost want to cry every time that I hear it.

well to get to the point, has anyone seen a transcription of this solo somewhere? as a tab or as sheet music, or as powertab or guitarpro files, any format would do actually. Maybe someone has transcribed it and hasn't uploaded it anywhere. Well, if someone has any information of how to get the transcprition, please let me know.

If someone is wondering why don't I transcribe it myself then I've tried for a lot of times but I cant seem to be getting anywhere with it, my relative pitch skills arent that good. I actually dont have any problems transcribing basslines from rock, blues or pop songs but thisone is out of my league.

please help

thanks in advance
  2. really wish i could help u bud, i saw that solo a while back and thought it was amazing, though ive never came across any tabs or sheet music for it.
    your best bet might be to watch his fingers really carefully :)

3. jeff schmidt

jeff schmidt no longer red carded, but my butt is still sore.

Aug 27, 2004
    Novato, CA
    I just downloaded this video and except for some of his typical quadribble thumping spasms - transcribing that solo should be totally do-able - even for an intermediate player.

It's at moderate tempo - most of the background music is very low in the mix - bass way up front and most of the lines are a faux swing 8th note thing - not a lot of 16th and 32nd notes. You should try to pick out a few lines on your own. I think you'll be surprised how much you'll be able to get if you sit with it for an hour or so.

EDIT - to help you out - Ill post the audio only. (on the way)

Try loading it in a waveform editor and take it one phrase at a time. You'll get it. It's totally do-able.
  4. Jeff, that links brok - can you re-post please.
  5. jeff schmidt

Aug 27, 2004
    Novato, CA
    thanks munk - I'll re-post later today.
  6. jeff schmidt

Aug 27, 2004
    Novato, CA
  7. dodgy_ian

Apr 9, 2001
    Newcastle, UK
    yeah you shoule be able to transcribe that with a bit of time and listening.

8. jnevi9nr

Aug 17, 2009
    Washington, DC
    big fan of victor's work on DMB's #41 Live in Chicago!
  9. Here it is. Finally fulfilled my dream, it only took me 6 years :)

Attached Files:

10. ripman3

Dec 30, 2009
    This solo is possibly my favorite bass solo ever, so glad someone transcribed it.
  11. ZekeO

Jan 13, 2009
    Thank you. I learned to play it by ear but this is totally awesome! I actually didn't know which Dave Matthews song this solo was for.