Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Videocard-upgrade - need help/experience/input

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Frank Martin, Oct 23, 2004.

1. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Hi guys!

Thought I'd ask you as there have been some PC and hardware related links nowadays and some of you guys seem to know a lot more than me - and thought maybe you could help me out with some info.

I now have an nVidia GeForce 4 MX 440... need I say more? ;) :meh: :(
    With AGP 8x and 64 Mb...
    Some games either dont run (need Pixel-shader of Vertex-shader) or they just crash after some time and i get that blue screen...
    The rest of the setup is still at least half-way decent (Athlon 2,4 GHz, 512Mb RAM), now this videocard seems to be the bottleneck.

Before some of you say GeForce 6800 Ultra or Radeon X800 XT, I will say that I need to do this on the cheap. My parents have just bought a new car and I've just ordered a Schroeder 1210 - so I think you get the picture ;)

So what I need is something decent that can run DirectX9 and is not really expensive (better put: they are cheap).

My thoughts so far:
    - Radeon 9600 Pro 128 Mb
    - Radeon 9600 128 or 256 Mb (costs almost the same)
    - nVidia FX 5700

I're read some tests on the net, but what I really need is some hands-on info.
    The Radeon seems to be better, but I've read that they are a bit more problematic to install; whats your experience with them?

Thanks

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    <---------Radeon guy. I have never liked the vid cards from nVidia.

You don't need the Pro either.

-Mike

3. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    I dont need the Pro? Ok, if you say so ;)
    However, in the tests the Pro performed much better than the normal ones (and also better than the nVidias... so that's why I'm thinking of doing this change)

Anyone who changed from nVidia to ATI on the same PC had any problems with it? Or will they (videocard and Asus A7V8X motherboard - IIRC) work well together?

4. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Check out the price of the Radeon 9800 cards now....

Those are really good cards and give the most bang for the buck. I bought one a couple of months ago and I´m very happy with it.

Check it out...

5. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    I checked it out, but cant (and dont even want to) spend so much now. The games I play are not that graphics-card intensive.

Besides, even these cards would be quite a jump from the GF4 MX 440 with only 2 pipelines and 200/400 MHz (IIRC)

6. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Of those three I'd go with the 9600 pro. Check out the deals at www.newegg.com if you haven't already.

It just depends though what kind of stuff you play and whatnot. In gaming benchmarks sometimes the 5700 does better (I'm assuming we're not talking about 5700 ultra) and sometimes the 9600 pro does better. On games that use version 2.0 of pixel and vertex shaders the Nvidia cards suffer. The 9600 pro whips 5700 a$$ on the leaked half life 2 beta, Far Cry and some of the other games with advanced graphics.

brad cook

7. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Thats what I'm leaning towards the most.

As for the games I play, most are real-time strategy and sometimes some simulations.
    For example these are the games I've played or tried to play recently:
    Desert Rats vs Afrika Korps
    D-Day and Panzers Phase 1 (with next card hopefully...)
    Diablo II
    Richard Burns Rally (needs pixel- and vertex-shaders)
    WWII Sniper (ocassionally crashes)
    Pacific Fighters.

So, as you see, not many FPS, rather RTS and RPG, with some sims.

8. Timbo

Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
  9. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Another vote for teh Radeon- I've been very happy with ATI cards. Given pace of computer tech, I would save up a little more cash and get teh 9800, or you will be upgrading that much sooner.

10. {OE}

{OE}

Sep 23, 2004
    Connecticut, U.S.
    I'd also rec. the ATI 9600 I know alot of peeps have had issues with ATI, but I havnt and Ive had several of their cards.

I wouldnt be so worried about needing to upgrade that soon after this purchase as the 64 bit processors will be out soon; ( which will likely be designed for 512 MB vid cards and better.) so everyone will be upgrading.......again.

11. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Newsflash: 64 bit processors have been out for a while now.

brad cook

12. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Yeah, we all know what GAS stands for - and its not just for bassists ;)