1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

For Sale/Trade Vintage Carvin LB 50

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Vinnyc, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Vinnyc

Vinnyc Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2018
    California
    Price:
    Strings:
    Vintage Kiesel Lb50

This is a sleeper . Don't
    be fooled but all the switches you can get any tone you want this! This is a passive bass but you would not think so wants you start playing it.

Bought this bass couple months ago. The guy i bought it from said it belonged to his grandfather who bought it new and it had been sitting in a closet in it's case (a time capsule) for close to a decade from what he could remember. A couple of the pots were a little scratchy so i took it to kiesel guitars they were amazed at the condition it was in. They replaced all the pots. Went through all the electronics, did full set up, new strings, cleaned the frets, cleaned and polished the fret board, it is in mint condition, it has the wiring for stereo. It is ready to be played it sounds great. It is unique and you won't find one in this condition. I debated on whether to keep it but it's not my style I've always wanted a fender so that's my first choice but will consider all of the trades 20180602_164320. 20180602_164351. 20180602_164415. 20180602_164424.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
    armybass and bassdude51 like this.
  2. kosta_

kosta_

Mar 6, 2015
    That's a killer.

3. Vinnyc

Vinnyc Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2018
    California
    It sounds killer as well amazed at all the tones you can get with the switches its built like a tank like most thinks from the 80's

4. bassdude51

bassdude51 "You never even called me by my name." Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2008
    Central Ohio
    May I vouch for this wonderful Carvin LB50?

I bought one brand new back in 1983 and I still have it.

You can literally spend all day with the knobs & switches and dual output jack and come up with dozens and dozens of different sounds! The "Swiss Army Bass" of all basses ever made. And it's passive (no battery).

Folks, they don't make 'em like this anymore!

Own something unique! This is the one!

5. Vinnyc

Vinnyc Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2018
    California
    I agree and thank you your going to talk me into keeping it :roflmao:

6. kbuschmann

kbuschmann Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Nut width, string spacing at bridge, and scale?

7. bassdude51

bassdude51 "You never even called me by my name." Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2008
    Central Ohio
  8. Vinnyc

Vinnyc Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2018
    California
    Thanks Chuck

9. RoyGBass

RoyGBass Thumper & Twanger Supporting Member

May 4, 2014
    New York, New York
    I have a white one with slightly different electronics. 2 volume and 2 tone knobs with phase switch and coil tap for each pickup. I believe those pickups are called MB22's. This bass sounds like no other.

10. Vinnyc

Vinnyc Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2018
    California
    It does sound amazing it's kind of hard I believe that all those tones can come out of the base with those switches

11. weekend warrior

weekend warrior Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2009
    Grayling,MI.
    These are absolutely killer Basses! Tone for days! And any tone I might add

12. Vinnyc

Vinnyc Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2018
    California
    Don't get me wrong they make some wonderful basses today but they don't make them like they used to

13. kosta_

kosta_

Mar 6, 2015
    How do you find the output on the E and G strings relative to the A and D strings? I've read that, because of the layout of the pole pieces on the MB22s, the string sensing isn't even across all of the strings. (I believe that Carvin used those pickups for both guitars and basses.)

14. I have one of these in koa. It's great. A few years back I brought it to the New England GTG and got nice compliments from people about it. GLWTS!

15. Vinnyc

Vinnyc Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2018
    California
    I sure you did anything in koa looks awsome