SOLD Vintage G&L bass

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by neo 7, Jan 26, 2018.

1. neo 7

neo 7 The bass player doesn't get a sandwich

Aug 22, 2011
    Erie, PA
    Price:
    $575
    Strings:
    I got this bass here in the classifieds last fall. I like the wide and flat necks like on the G&L Wunkays and 50's Fenders, and I'm pretty partial to seafoam green. So when I saw this for sale at a good price I just had to have it. Its a nice player, not heavy, and balances perfectly. But it's too single coil-ily for me and I'm pretty confirmed to medium scales so I'm gonna let this one go.

The original thread describes the bass pretty good and has better pics than I can take.
    ://www.talkbass.com/threads/vintage-g-l-bass.1305880/

I added $25 to the price to help me cover shipping. I'll send it in the same crappy Fender gig bag I got it in. I will entertain trade offers: short scale or medium scale basses, drum gear, maybe a bass head. Whatcha got? Worse I'll do is say no.

Here's my pics
    0126181225g.jpg

With the flash 0126181155.jpg

Without the flash
    0126181155a.jpg

Headstock
    0126181158.jpg

Checking on the back

0126181157a.jpg

Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
    kkaarrll, Raw N Low, jebmd and 2 others like this.
  2. Man--I kicked myself for not grabbing it the last time. No way for a sound clip? Can't find a good one on line.

3. neo 7

Aug 22, 2011
    Erie, PA
    I don't own the equipment to make a sound clip. Sorry.

Best I can describe is that it sounds more like a single coil P than jazz pup in the neck position. It does have quite a bit more throaty mid-growl to it, but lacks the oomph of a split coil P.

4. spufman

spufman Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Central CT
    Those old stripped down G&Ls are wonderful. My similar SB-2 is one I'd grab if ever evacuating, for sure.

5. IMing you right now....

6. lax4bags

lax4bags Supporting Member

May 15, 2012
    Alabama
    Is this refinished or original on the body? Truss rod work well? Dead spots?

7. neo 7

Aug 22, 2011
    Erie, PA
    Deal pending

8. I think this is "Belair Green".

9. punchdrunk

punchdrunk Inactive

Jun 22, 2013
    I’ll take it if the deal falls through.

10. I mailed out the check Saturday morning. If I don't bond with the bass I can find your post right here and we will figure out some way for it to become yours!

punchdrunk likes this.
  11. punchdrunk

punchdrunk Inactive

Jun 22, 2013
    By all means!

12. If anyone wants me I'll be standing out by the mailbox just in case....

13. neo 7

Aug 22, 2011
    Erie, PA
    Kinda feel like I'm holding the bass hostage and waiting for ransom money.

punchdrunk likes this.
  14. punchdrunk

punchdrunk Inactive

Jun 22, 2013
    Seems to be taking a mighty long time indeed..

Uncle K likes this.
  15. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    ugh, i sold my red lynx in the spring when the college closed

whoever gets this will be really happy

16. I mailed the check on Saturday morning and for some reason it didn't arrive in Erie until yesterday. Uncle Kay has now confirmed he has my check and the SB-1 is in transit to its new home. There is an open slot in the rack awaiting the arrival of my very first G&L. Punchdrunk--I will not forget you.

punchdrunk likes this.
  17. punchdrunk

punchdrunk Inactive

Jun 22, 2013
    Right on BoomBloom, give it a whirl, if it’s not your thing, give me a shout. Those early l1k necks are real beast, so start stretching that left hand stat! Haha.

18. Well, now I'm curious. My primary instrument is upright, so a large neck is fine. And I play Wishbasses. They are like baseball bats. And I am equally comfortable with my '73 Jazz. We will see.

punchdrunk likes this.
  19. Supposed to arrive today. I'll be out at the mailbox if anyone needs anything.

20. Love it. Keeping it. Can't keep my hands off it. Thanks to Uncle K--a patient and trusting person who sure can wrap a bass for mailing.