Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Vintage stingrays

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fenderbassabuse, Jun 4, 2005.

1. How much would I be looking at to pick up a good playing pre-ernie ball model for in the UK? If I can get hold of a 70's model, what should I look out for? Are they as robust as a brand new one? Do they hold their value?

Also, how many people around here use them or any 70's or earlier basses? are there any reliability issues with a 30ish year old instrument?

Many thanks

2. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Old musicman sales seem to have slowed for the past couple months, but check ebay. I think that's the best source for what people are willing to pay.
    Basically the pre ernie Ray's seem break up into 3 categories;
    76-77 seem to go for a certain price, the 78-80 another price, and the 81-83 4-bolt necks go for another price (these being the least price pre-EB's).

3. Cool. I guess I have about $3000 or £1500 to play with, and I want a real good playing one. I dont really care about how good the condition is, (like paint chips or a dirty fingerboard) just so long as it plays and sounds fantastic. If anything, I want one WITH imperfections like scrachtes and dirt.

Are there any other places to buy one/get an idea of price for a vintage 'ray?

4. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    I my self gig alot and frequently use from my collection which includes: a '69 Jazz, '72 Precision, '79 Ibanez Musician, '80 Musicman Sabre, and an '84 Jazz 62RI.

Never any reliability issues, the only "issue" is old basses can be hard to replace if they are ever stolen.

5. there was one on the bass gallery website (london) not long ago. i think it was a pre ernie ball 1976 sunburst finsh stingray with a 2 band eq for £1250 but the finish was pretty beat

6. abngourmet

abngourmet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2004
    USA
    My '79 Ray is bulletproof, no reliability issues whatsoever. I did have to have it refretted, but then again, it's 26 years old. The electronics are still intact and functional, and it plays beautifully.

These things are going for about $2K usually, so it seems you have the scratch to afford one. I bought mine for about $1300 on Ebay two years ago. I love it, and I'll never sell it. The newer ones are .. well .. more sterile sounding to me.

Alan

7. Cool, Thanks guys. I guess I need that fat warm dirty growl that only the ray can give me.

I saw a 79 on the bass gallery's site for £1100 a few weeks ago. boy am I now mad I didn't have the cash for it :mad: :crying:

8. gareth

gareth

Jun 9, 2002
    UK
    Im selling my 79/80 pre-eb ray in black with maple board - still got string dampeners including rubbers, three bolt neck, all original

9. gareth

gareth

Jun 9, 2002
    UK
    still for sale

10. gareth

gareth

Jun 9, 2002
    UK
    still for sale

11. *kicks thread to top*