1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Vinyl Experts, do I have anything special?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by homercaholic, Sep 15, 2010.

1. Cleaning out my grandmothers house and we came across some old vinyl records I believe were my uncles before he was killed. Hes just what I was able to fit in my car on the way home and wondering if anyone can tell if I have anything special. Dont expect much, in fact I really dont expect anything. They are all used except for 2, the Keith Richards solo album and U2 Rum album are still in the original plastic. This is just a sample, have about 100 more.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Simo98

Simo98

Jun 18, 2009
    QLD, Australia
    Im pretty sure they are all worthless, ill take them off your hands, I won't even charge a disposal fee if you pay the postage.

3. No idea if they are worth anything, but you have a nice collection there. I suggest that you buy a good turn table and get down to some listening.

lowsound

4. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    Wow! I had about all of them. So that is where they went!!

5. Rocks

Rocks

Mar 9, 2009
    Willoughby, Ohio
    Old records are going up in value but only under certain conditions. First pressings are the most valuable. The record, sleeve and cover all have to be mint or darn close. Most of what I could see wasn't that old and I'm guessing were all collected around the same time. The Beatles albums are probably not first pressings seeing them sitting next to Bruce Springsteen and U2 - once again, just a guess.

I have a first pressing of Jimi Hendrix Are You Experienced, first pressing was in mono, not stereo. Its worth a few hundred bucks. As time goes on, the older first pressings of certain artists will continue to grow in value, later pressings not as much. The reason is many people believe vinyl (analog) sounds better than digital recordings like cd's. I for one agree and have an extensive collection from the 60's and early 70's, all mint, all first pressing or close to it. I even have some cool bootlegs.

EDIT: I should add that first pressings are more valuable for two reasons. First they are like first editions of books. Second, first pressings had the deepest grooves as the die's used to press them were still fresh and not worn down. The deeper groves give you a fuller, more complete sound/tones.

6. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    They're all pretty common albums, but to the right person, you may have something.

7. Buchada Azeda

Buchada Azeda

Mar 25, 2009
    Brazil
    Are any of your albums from the first pressings?

Are the albums in mint condition/sealed?

Are there any obscure progressive rock/psychedelic/experimental/avant-garde albums?

For example, a first pressing record of Dün's (obscure progressive rock/fusion/avant-garde band) "Eros" in mint condition would be worth a big buck.

8. becker4567

becker4567

Jul 26, 2008
    Not sure about alot of them, but I can tell you that anything Beatles is VERY sought after and the value is going up! You could probably sell the rest but whatever you do, hang on to the Beatles stuff!!

9. Not quite sure if any are first edition and I havent gone through them all either, this is just a handful of what I grabbed. A few are still sealed but may have some dings. They are all used mostly (besides the sealed).

10. cdef

cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    The Beatles' Long Tall Sally LP was a Canada-only, mono-only release on Capitol, and seems to be collectible if in good condition. A near mint copy can fetch $400-500.

11. EBodious

EBodious

Aug 2, 2006
    Iowa
    dude had good taste in music. i suggest keeping them and listening to them.

a buddy of mine used to make pretty good extra cash selling records on ebay. he picks them up at garage sales, etc. its not just rare discs that fetch cash. he also sells quantity at low prices, but with shipping and handling charges it adds up.

12. I have several first pressings where the vinyl itself is in mint condition (no dust, scratches ect), but the sleeves are quite beat up. I have a first pressing of MJ's Thriller that is absolutely perfect, but the sleeve is all dog eared. Sounds amazing. I have a few first pressing Rush albums as well.

lowsound

13. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    All you can fit in your car is 48 records? What do you drive? One of those little cars that the Shriners drive around in parades?

bc

14. The rest of the car was filled with the boxes of old playboy magazines that accompanied the records.

15. Grizzly700

Grizzly700

Mar 18, 2008
    Maryville, TN
    How do you tell if they are first pressings? My mom has a huge collection including all the country greats and a few pop albums from MJ, KC and the Sunshine band, the BeeGees, etc

16. That BTO record is sooo good.

17. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Who, Beatles, Stones, Floyd, and U2 records may be valuable. That includes albums by solo members. Most used records are not worth more than a couple bucks each.

How valuable depends on many things. If they are English, Japanese, or German pressings they are worth more. If they are sealed they potentially are worth more, though I've gotten a few sealed records in $1 bins recently.

You won't get rich from these, but look them up on Ebay to see how much they may be worth each by checking completed auctions. For example, I recently bought a pressing of the Beatles "Blue" album I see there in good condition for $20 on blue vinyl. Worth less on black vinyl, a lot less in poor condition, more if it's an original German or English pressing.

Whatever you do, don't play them on a crappy turntable with a ceramic cartridge. Go to the vinyl threads here for more info on turntables - search on talkbass in off topic for "vinyl" there will be plenty.

One thing. If you have a copy of The Beatles album "Yesterday And Today", do a Google search and learn how to identify a "Second State Butcher Cover". If you have one, it could be very, very valuable indeed.

18. Philbiker

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Best advice on the thread.

19. Philbiker

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Not necessarily. This year in addition to the blue vinyle blue album I bought "The Beatles Again/Hey Jude" original pressing and "Rubber Soul" US Mono each for well under $10. Got the original RAM Apple release for $5 at a local shop in VG condition. Standard issue Apple/Capitol re-releases (which these appear to be) are really only -valuable- if they are in mint condition. These records appear to have been played/loved.

The advice is good though. Beatles records will never go down in value. They may not make you rich, but they are good.

20. Philbiker

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    But a purple label re-release in VG condition recently sold on ebay for $34.99.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 5, 2021