Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Violent femmes

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by rock-wannabe, Sep 7, 2004.

1. rock-wannabe

rock-wannabe

Sep 3, 2004
    Brian Ritchie has to be one of the most tallented bassists out that, what do u guys think of him,,,,i'll post more later just i gtg out. please reply with your thoughts

2. slackdaddy

slackdaddy

Mar 1, 2004
    Athens, GA
    Endorsing Artist: David Eden Amplifiers / Rob Wave Custom basses
    I am glad to see someone else agrees. Did you see the BR post started here a few dats ago?

3. rock-wannabe

rock-wannabe

Sep 3, 2004
    Yeah im just annoyed no one pays attention to them, most my mates dont know them but the ones i do refuse to listen to them becuase they were on sabrina the teenage witch. I havent read the other post, im new to talkbass, im more of a bassworld.co.uk guy.

4. Maybe it's just me, but doesn't it seem kind of ignorant to put off a band that's been slugging it out in near-obscurity for 20 some odd years because they were on a TV show?

The first three Violent Femmes records were profoundly influential to me.

5. slackdaddy

slackdaddy

Mar 1, 2004
    Athens, GA
    Yeah, your buddies are missing out. The Femmes are amazing. Some very cool basslines. I too learned a lot when I was starting out by listening to the Violent Femmes.

6. Freshman/Sophomore (grade 9 or 10) years of High School. That was more or less my introduction to "punk" rock.

7. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    The Femmes are great: But Riche needs to realize that fast doesn't equal good. All he does is shred when he solos. He's a good riffer, though.

I bought Freak Magnet the other day... it's the album I hate to love. The songs are so stupid that they piss me off, but I get them stuck in my head. :meh:

8. slackdaddy

slackdaddy

Mar 1, 2004
    Athens, GA
    I understand your point and agree that fast does not equal good. I have heard a lot of crazy playing from Brian Richie and it has not struck me as be consumed by speed it's just different. I will have too listen more closely to see where you are coming from.

9. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    They are cool. They came to Iceland in March or April, but I couldn't go :(

10. I fully agree! I saw them last year here in Wellington, and it was a great show...apart from his endless solos! But then again, there's a really good one in the song "Please Do Not Go" - nice acoustic sound, too! :)

Another thing I don't like about his improvised solos is his sound: He obviously uses some kind of fuzz effect which is actually designed for guitar, because every time he switched it on there was a big lack of low frequencies.

I couldn't believe it when I found out that the "Femmes" had released more than a dozen albums so far! Their debut must've been their most popular one - during their Wellington concert the songs from that album got the best response from the crowd! (They had a very good support band, by the way; a band from Auckland called "Goldenhorse" - very talented).

Anyway, Brian and his mates seem like very nice guys. Very cool how they can entertain by using only guitar, bass and a minimalist drumset (which doesn't even have a bass drum!).