Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Virginia??

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by LarryO, Oct 27, 2005.

1. LarryO

LarryO

Apr 4, 2004
    I'll be moving to Virginia in February. Norfolk/Portsmouth area. I have a wife and a son. Can anyone recommend an apartment in a safe neighborhood? Thanks

2. Jeffrey A-Bomb

Jeffrey A-Bomb Drink Coffee & Destroy Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2000
    Silver Spring, MD
    Is this Navy related at all? I'm from the Richmond area, so I can't really recommend a safe area, but they have the Norva there :) It's a great music venue.

3. LarryO

LarryO

Apr 4, 2004
    Yes, Navy Related

4. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    First off-

Condolences.

The Norva notwithstanding...it's a music wasteland here, IMHO.
    FME, it was pretty happenin' in the '70s & '80s(maybe even early '90s).

Are you working Southside? That is, Norfolk Naval Station or Little Creek(Va. Beach) or Oceana(on BRAC's list, also in Va. Beach).
    If so...IMO, don't live on the penisula(Hampton, Newport News, etc) & communte into Norfolk via the Hampton Roads tunnel...it's ridiculous & the road construction has been on-going for about a dozen years now.

Almost as bad is working in Portsmouth & living in Norfolk(as I do); there is another tunnel involved...10 miles point-to-point, on a good day, I can make it home in 30-40 minutes. There have been a few days when it took me 90 minutes to get home.

I would recommend Va. Beach or Chesapeake(near Greenbrier Mall, maybe?)...these commutes would be about 15-25 miles from the Norfolk Naval Station. Regardless, traffic is a bitch; bring your High Blood Pressure meds with you.
    Then again, you're from Chicago...maybe you wouldn't see it as but so bad.

;)

5. LarryO

LarryO

Apr 4, 2004
    Well, actually music isn't an issue. I'll be in school at Portsmouth Naval Hospital. I was looking at Chesapeake and the Churchland area. I hate traffic My experience with traffic was much worse in San Diego than it is here. I live very close to work.

6. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Larry-

Churchland is on the same side of the water as NMCP...I have friends that live even in that direction(even further out than Churchland) & they swear their commute time is 15-20 minutes tops using the fairly new 164 West Norfolk by-pass.