Virtual Band

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by minddrain, Oct 24, 2019.

1. minddrain

minddrain

Dec 17, 2018
    Does anyone have a band that only swaps music on-like and never actually plays together? Just wondering, I am working on two projects this way. Thanks.

Bassaga and Beej like this.
  2. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Vancouver Island
    Myself and a couple of good friends do this, but I don't know if I'd call us a "band". :D One of us sends out a riff to a click track, the others add to it until it's a song, then one of them (multi-instrumentalist) lays down drums to it and we have a song. We only do it because we grew up together, but now live in different cities, many hours of travel apart. I actually love it, because it's something I could never have done growing up with them pre-internet days... :thumbsup:

DirtDog and minddrain like this.
  3. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    My old band from college sometimes does this. Since we are in three separate states, it's kind of tough to meet up to play.

minddrain likes this.
  4. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Very cool!

What kinds of technologies are you guys using - recording/file sharing, specifically?

Beej likes this.
  5. minddrain

minddrain

Dec 17, 2018
    I use Audacity to record with the Rocksmith TrueTone cable and Dropbox for file sharing. One of the guys that does the mixing uses GarageBand.

DirtDog and Beej like this.
  6. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Vancouver Island
    For simplicity, we all use Logic and then share files through Dropbox. I personally just run a direct line into my Mac and then process the signal in Logic. I actually don't know how the other guys get their signals into their computers...now I want to ask! :D

7. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

There used to be a website (may still be around) with members that posted unfinished music projects and you could download the file, add your part and upload it. I did it a few times on projects that need bass or keys.

I've also recorded bass parts for a standard fee when I had my production company up and running.

minddrain likes this.
  8. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Gold Supporting Member

not lately: before internet = we literally "mailed it in" to the musician/studio for additional tracks, work editing, etc. wav files and before that: tape (digital or analog).
    now: i don't have the time for a 'conscientious' project --- but in one of my bands: we each use our own home setups to re-record tracks and tweak and then bring it all together in my basement studio.
    future: something i'd be interested in, no doubt.

glad you're having and interest/fun in online collaboration! good luck! :thumbsup:

minddrain likes this.
  9. Tuffluck

Tuffluck

Oct 27, 2018
    North Georgia
    This is something I have considered.
    I live in a rural area and my "band time" is solely free minutes that are not spent at work or being kiddo cabbie.
    Have been looking to upgrade to a digital platform to share and create original music.
    @minddrain how do YOU feel like its working out for your vision? What do you feel are pros or cons of working this way?

10. minddrain

minddrain

Dec 17, 2018
    Honestly it’s still a work in progress. I’m working two different bands right now. One is a friend with his own YouTube channel where he plays all if the instruments and sings, I am taking over the bass part only. That one is more of an Indy vibe. The other I am trying to get going is a doom/Prog Metal.

the advantages are. I can record something once and then duplicate it or retake and everyone doesn’t have to listen or keep playing their parts. I just need a drummer.

11. lat

lat

Dec 30, 2014
    Lower Basstonia
    Click would be crucial, I'm thinking. Haven't tried this, but it would be a good exercise to broaden my horizons... Now you've got me thinking! lol

Beej likes this.
  12. PaulS

PaulS

Jan 19, 2016
    Somewhere in Jersey

Maybe indaba?

13. bearfoot

bearfoot Inactive

Jan 27, 2005
    Chittenango, NY
    I mostly just use a Google Drive to post .wav files for various projects that others need to download the files for.

If it's a crapton of gigabytes, I'll just give them an SD card.

14. Finchy

Finchy

Dec 10, 2019
    Indianapolis
    If we're actually living in a simulation then I guess we're ALL in virtual bands *Twilight Zone theme*

15. Tazziedevil

Tazziedevil

Apr 2, 2019
    Tasmania
    Does anyone here want to try this?