Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Vistor Wooten - Classical Thump

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by heath_the_great, Oct 25, 2004.

1. alright...im not a big fan, im not much of a fan of wooten, so i borrowed a few wooten/flectones cd's off my drummer just to expose myself a bit more and i gotta say...most of his stuff put me to sleep, but classical thump, i had to force myself to listen to it..it was so overbearing and horrible...not to mention just plain irritating...am i the only person that thinks this?

the only wooten collaboration songs that i like are a chick from corea with steve bailey and double espresso with steve smith...but they're still nothing that leaps out at me

2. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    I think Classical Thump is alright, but not the best showing of Vic's style. If anything, he's going too fast on that, when he gets into 4 plucks per note of the opening line especially. Sounds great at 2 per, and still pretty good at 3 per, but 4 are choked out too much. The rest of the composition is still good though. What exactly did you dislike - and what, if anything, did you like about what you've heard thus far?

3. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Yes, be more specific than "overbearing, horrible and irritating." WHY is he all those things to you?

brad cook

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Im not too much a fan of that song either, although i really love his other stuff. I just think its not really his style and hes just kinda ,..i wont say showing off, but hes just kinda... doing it for the sake of it. I dont find it extremely musical,especially when it gets choppy and such.

5. I'd agree that classical thump doesn't do a whole lot for me - I don't find it all that musical to listen to once I get past the chops displayed - but I think he's a great groove player when he's not doing solo bass stuff.

6. yeah, Classical Thump, whatever.

If you wanna hear Vic really get down, I would recommend the 1st Flecktones record and The Flight of the Cosmic Hippo. Those are really good records...he also did some stuff with Steve Smith and Scott Henderson called Tribal Tech Tones...that stuff is pretty good, albeit flashy.

7. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX

It's Vital Tech Tones.

brad cook

8. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    There *is* a Scott Henderson project called Tribal Tech, but it's with Gary Willis.

9. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    There is also a school called Georgia Tech but that's irrelevant too.

brad cook

10. well, I believe on the Bass Day 98' DVD Wooten says that all Classical Thumb was, was a warm up excercise for him. I doubt he thinks much of the song either.

11. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Did Scott henderson go there?

12. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Or as he puts it "once you learn this song you know like 90% of all my techniques"

13. Well, you don't hear people say this about Vic everyday.

14. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Australia
    You want good Victor, listen to "What did he say?", "Yin Yang," The Flecktones "Live at the Quick" to name a few. They are funkay. Yin Yang even has a track with Bootsy. Isn't that usually the kind of feature that will make you listen to something Heath? :D

15. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    No, he went to Tri-Tech.

brad cook

16. well its not musical enough, i find it messy aand overbearing....kinda makes me think he saying..woooo look at what i can do....but the only things ive found of vic's that i really appreciate is double espresso with steve smith on the drummers collective dvd..and the song a chick from corea with steve bailey......well im really starting to get over the whole bass virtuoso type idolisation, like i prefer stu hamms work with satch and his ghs more than his solo stuff and im starting to really appreciate hip hop, and rnb bassists more than the more out there, i spose its just my musical taste maturing more.....but i dont know what it really is about wooten, most of his stuff just doesnt appeal to me...i understand the hype, but its not something that leaps out and grabs me where something like snoop dogg or erykah badu is these days

17. of course..im always striving to find newer stuff with some of my idols....im finding some of the newer stuff bootsy's on, even though it may be just a continual loop of a parliment sample, has a vibe to it thats pure bootsy, no matter who else might be on it, snoop, coolio, ice cube, ol dirty bastard, q-tip...it all has the bootsy vibe....hell the only reason i got into suicidal tendancys was because of infectious grooves, and stuart hamms solo stuff because of steve vai on satch

18. well, i don't jump at classical thumb, but if you hear a song like norwegian wood, by VW, you will like it. what i like about VW is that he is not all chops. i tend to go for his more melodic stuff myself...which may involve speed, but is still melodic nonetheless.

19. i didnt like victors rendidition of the beatles norwiegan wood either...nor did i like his solo patch on the bass day 98 jam...personally i preferred pattitucci and rocco...wooten just seemed to stand out like a fish out of water....i dunno...he just bores me most the time....i spose im just getting more involved with bassists like tommy shannon, braylon lacy and mesell ndegeochello these days

20. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Well at least we know you wont be on TB everynight pimping Wooten in every other thread....thats gotta count for something right? :D