Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Volume Pedal Placement

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Petary791, Jan 31, 2006.

1. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Do you guys typically put it at the very beginning or the very end? Couldn't you put it in the very beginning and use it as a clean/dirty splitter? And one more question, say I leave it about half way up, will it kill my tone (like when you keep your volume knob half way up)?

2. IcedEarthWOM

IcedEarthWOM

Oct 2, 2005
    Cus I use a noise suppressor most of the time I place it at the end (otherwise I don't get the full sweep :( ).
    Depending on the dist/od that you use placing it before that can be kinda cool, but I've found that the gain on my fuzz means that even rocked back there's still some signal....
    IMO just turn the OD on and off ;)
    As for the last one: probably depends on the manufacturer. I have the Dunlop HighGain and it doesn't kill the tone in any position :D

3. lookjojoisplaid

lookjojoisplaid

Oct 17, 2005
    San Diego
    I put mine at the beginning of my chain so that i can hit a note and cut it out with the volume pedal and then my just the trail of my reverb pedal will come through. If you put at the end there wont be anything to carry over when you stop playing.

As far as the Clean dirty splitter guitarists have been doing this for a while. I dont know how they do it so i cant help you there

And when i tunr my bass down i get the tone kill to but i dont know what to do about that

4. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I should mention that i'm going to be purchasing the Ernie Ball 25K Jr Volume.

5. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    I place mine toward the end, as I use it primarily keep the tone I have while reducing the volume.

Depends on the pedal

Yes, it can. Again, it depends on the pedal.

6. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Would the Ernie Ball 25K Jr be a victim? My plan is keeping it half way so when I need a boost I can, and when I need a cut I can.

7. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    I don't know- I've never tried an EB. My Morley's don't do it, but a Dunlop I tried did.

8. lookjojoisplaid

lookjojoisplaid

Oct 17, 2005
    San Diego

I have the same pedal Works great but its does do the tone suck thing. But if you want a boost sounds like you might want to look into a compressor.

9. IcedEarthWOM

IcedEarthWOM

Oct 2, 2005
    or lower the output of you chain and stick an MXR Micro Amp (or similar item) at the end.....

you won't get the cut option (I don't think so anyway...)

10. alanwolf

alanwolf

Sep 22, 2004
    The 25K pedal is for active set ups; the usual volume pedal for guitar / bass is 250K or 500K, either of which will have less tonal suck at lower volumes. The 25K pot will reduce you're volume fine, it's just that EB make them in two resistances to match active or passive better. If you do use it after effects, the 25K will fit in just fine. But I do agree with the comment above about letting your effects play out while controling input into them—that is, pre effect.

I almost won't play guitar without a volume pedal (right after the guitar) but with bass I haven't wanted to use it. I've tried a few times and find I can control dynamics fine with touch, even for "swells."

11. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I thought you were supposed to get a 25K model if you have an active bass. :confused:

12. JJBluegrasser

JJBluegrasser Wannabe Snazzy Dresser

Apr 17, 2003
    USA, Raleigh, NC
    Petary,
    I think you should get the 250K. I just got one a few months ago to replace my Vox and it works much better. I've loooped it as well, and I don't notice any difference.

As far as chain order, to each his/her own... I use mine as the last thing in the chain. It's there, basically to manage the volume of my pedals. The POTs in most Fender basses (like mine) sound different wide open as opposed to slightly attentuated. Therefore, I generally like to run my bass wide open (or close) most of the time. Using OD is one exception to that. I still put the VPjr last like this:

VPJr <- EHX English Muff'n <- Bass

This way, I can set the Muff'n to a fixed point and don't have to adjust it during a gig. If I want more gain at the same volume, I just crank up the bass volume pot and roll back the VPJr. If I want to calm the Muff'n down some, then I roll of the bass pot and turn up the VPJr. Works like a champ for me...

Jason

13. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    You're saying that even though I use an active bass I should get the 250K? Will it still have that tone suckage? Sounds like it wouldn't by what you're saying.

14. JJBluegrasser

Apr 17, 2003
    USA, Raleigh, NC
    Yea, I use both an active preamp jazz and a passive precision bass and they both sound fine. There is a little switch inside the EB Jr. that seems to help some people when things don't sound great. Not sure what it does.

Jason

15. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Alright i'll check that out then. One more quick question. Does it need a power supply?

16. JJBluegrasser

Apr 17, 2003
    USA, Raleigh, NC