1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Volume Pedal??

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Nick Ioannucci, Apr 8, 2006.

1. Is there anything that i can use as a volume control pedal that wont affect my tone? i have this problem when i use my upright where im constantly adjusting volume while getting yelled at by the badn director, ie too oud to soft, and its such a pain to stop playing and turn to the amp and turn down, plus it sounds horrible when the bass just drops out. any ideas?
    p.s. is this the wrong forum for this?

2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    :) <-- (click)

3. Jason Hollar

Jason Hollar Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2005
    Pittsburgh area
    In Rufus Reid's book, The Evolving Bassist, he suggests using a volume pedal to have "hands free" adjustment -- especially when switching to the bow.

I've always wanted to try this, but never got around to buying/schlepping one.

I've heard great things about an active volume pedal called the Visual Volume. I know another guy who swears by his Ernie Ball.

Just stay away from the potentially tone dampening passive models like the Dunlop (looks just like the classic black wah wah pedal) I owned one of these years ago...darn thing won't stay where you leave it...it tends to slip from where you set it...Good luck!

4. cool thanks... ill have to check those out. and btw chris your link didnt work right. it said invalid thread or some such thing.

5. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    That's odd...it works when I click on it. At any rate, if it doesn't work again, try going to the "newbie links" and you'll find a volume pedal thread.

6. o wow... now i feel retarded... lol should have checked there first.... *sigh*

7. mje

mje

Aug 1, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    The way to get no tone shift with a volume pedal is to put a simple preamp like fdeck's design in front of it.