1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Vox Combo

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by lowendrachel, Mar 25, 2020 at 2:57 PM.

1. lowendrachel

lowendrachel

Sep 11, 2012
    GTA, Ontario
    Hello. Has any of you guys used the Vox VX50BA with your upright?

I was thinking of getting one as a monitor and connecting it to the PA. Thank you.

Vox - VX50BA 50W Bass Guitar Amplifier

2. hieronymous

hieronymous

Nov 28, 2002
    Northern CA
    I have only used it with electric, so can't help on that front. However, you should know that while it has a line out, it is just the clean signal - none of the tone shaping of the amp (EQ, nanotube) is included in that signal. Not sure what you meant by connecting it to the PA, but if you were hoping the sound of the combo would be included, I believe the answer is no.

My favorite part - it's so light! Can easily carry with one hand. It is made of plastic. I don't think it's loud enough to use with a loud drummer, but it's great for playing with other acoustic instruments and would probably work with a sensitive jazz drummer.

Here's a thread (in the bass guitar section) from when people first started getting them, might be worth perusing:

New Amp Day - VOX VX50BA

I guess my question would be - what do you hope to get out of this amp that you can't get from something else? To me this amp offers super light weight, pretty big sound for the size & weight, and the distortion. I don't use it for the distortion, it wins for me for the light weight, but only using it to play informally with other people, not in a band situation.

lowendrachel likes this.
  3. lowendrachel

lowendrachel

Sep 11, 2012
    GTA, Ontario
    Thanks for your reply. I was thinking of connecting this to the house sound. So basically I would just use it as my monitor.

What I'm hoping to get from this? Hopefully my gigging amp. I'm attracted mainly because of the weight. The cab I'm using now is about 33 pounds.

Also I don't care about the other features of the bass. Mainly using it clean. Maybe compressor too..

Thanks so much.

hieronymous likes this.
  4. AGCurry

AGCurry Supporting Member

Jun 29, 2005
    St. Louis
    I think there are better choices for you. The Traynor SB110 and the Peavey Max 208. Both are double-bass-ready, have more power, weigh less, and are not made of plastic.

5. I've never seen or heard one in person, but at 50 watts into an 8" speaker, I don't think this amp will be loud enough to gig with, except for the quietest of situations. Just my 2 cents, as always.

Ric Vice likes this.
  6. Ludwig

Ludwig

Aug 17, 2006
    Germany
    I agree, that the Peavey Max 208 is better then the Vox VX50BA. But the weight is, as the wattage, 4 times as high, and price is higher as well. The combos can not be compared...

7. Jared Houseman

Jared Houseman

Jul 5, 2018
    I use a rumble 15 with my bluegrass group when I play electric (eub or bg). I usually only need 30% volume max. If you have a lower volume group the vox should keep up great.

If you need more power I have a bfm jack 110 light. It's a 10" 250 watt horn speaker that's very loud and only weights around 22lbs and fairly cheap. You'll just have to keep your eye out on the used market if you want one.

All in all I think a combo would be fine as a monitor. An 8" is enough for me. If you need more look at a rumble 40 or Peavy Max 10 (these also have a built in di).

AGCurry likes this.
  8. A bluegrass band is the only situation where I thought this amp might work. YRMV of course! For the record, I like 8" speakers but I think they are pretty specialized and need a really well engineered cabinet to work to their fullest. Especially if there's only one speaker.

The good news is that OP's link is from Long & McQuade who have a really great 30 day return policy. If it were me, I'd buy it and try it for for a bit. It can be returned for a full refund if it doesn't fit the bill.

9. Jared Houseman

Jared Houseman

Jul 5, 2018
    I understand that. My bfm cab on the other hand is LOUD and weights the same as the rumble. I've never had problems with with drummers and it's just as loud as my 210 cab. It's not my favorite sounding, but it packs the most punch for it's size.

10. PaperbackRyder

PaperbackRyder Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2007
    Maynard, MA
    For that same $300, I got a Fender Rumble 100. 12" speaker, 100 watts, 20 lbs, DI out.
    I like it for what it is...light and easy to schlep. Sound is good not great.

AGCurry and Ric Vice like this.
  11. I use one for quiet band rehearsals only. Would never use it on a gig.

12. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    I concur with all the above. For many years I used a B-15N(C) for all my gigs. That particular amplifier is around 25 watts RMS and had a terrific CTS 15" or later on an Altec 421 8H mounted in a double baffle reflex cabinet.

It sounds great in close proximity to the amp or with FOH. Of the newer inexpensive amplifers I've heard of played into I don't think you can beat the Fender Rumble series.