1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

VOX Pathfinder 10 bass

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RickenBoogie, May 8, 2010.

1. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    10 watts, 2x5" open-backed cab, 2 band eq, and a bright switch. Think I can do an outdoor gig with it? No PA?
    Kidding, but just for the record, for $99., it's a pretty nice sounding little practice combo. I plan on using it for casual livingroom acoustic jamming, which happens 3-4 times a year when old bandmates get together for drinks and whatnot. Was surprised to see it had an open back, and 2 tiny little 5" spkrs, but it really does have pretty good tone. I like it better than the Line 6 Studio 110, GK Backline 110, or SWR LA10. In this case, 2x5 is worth more than 1x10.

2. Cool! I am curious about this little amp, will probably get one for, as you said, jamming around the house. Can't beat the price.

3. KramerBassFan

KramerBassFan

Jan 3, 2009
    Not mention how darn good it looks.

I usually don't buy stuff on looks, but sure, why not!

4. Eilif

Eilif Holding it down in K-Town. Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    I played one of these a couple weeks ago, It was surprisingly loud, and it seemed to smooth out (I like to roll off the tone) better than most other low end practice amps.

The real jem is that it sounds good, and is pretty enough that my wife says I could keep it in the living room! Definitely worth checking out, and I'm strongly considering picking up one of these.

I'd never suggest one for a gigging amp, but it's loud enough for jamming with accoustics.

5. Basscat125

Basscat125

Aug 3, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland.
    none yet
    Hey is this one of those headphone amps like the rockman bass ace headphone amp that you can just plug in headphones to and practice in the car and walk around the house.

6. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    No, it's a small 2x6 combo amp.

7. I have it, its a great little amp and I love the tone, the low end is kinda non existent, but over all I love playing the darn thing!

8. TalkHofner

TalkHofner

Oct 17, 2010
    I´ve got a Hofner V62 and I am looking for a small amp to plug it in for home practicing. Vox seems an obvious choice, but I have heard the Pathfinder 10B is not that good. Well, I don´t expect it to perform as well as one of its bigger brothers, but can one of you who has already tested it help me to understand where its limitations are? Volume is not an issue. Quality, though, is.

I have a Hofner, which means I´m looking for a classical sound.

Others have suggested the Roland Microcube, 2.5 times more expensive than the Pathfinder, but with loads of features. However, I´m more concerned with the quality of the sound. Sure, features are nice, but they come second to tone to me.

So, these are my two options at the moment. Has anyone tested the Roland Microcube? Does anyone know it compares with the Pathfinder?

Thanks!

9. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    If you're really particular about your tone, NONE of these tiny amps will do. The one thing they all have in common is, they all sound like tiny practice amps. Really nice warm deep tone is only achieved with a fair amount of power, and a decent sized speaker in a bigger cab- Something like the now discontinued Ampeg B50R would be a good example of a smallish amp with "good" tone. The little Vox is awesome, for what it is, a tiny 10 watt 2x6 open-backed combo. But even the Micro Roland, or anything tiny, will sound like what it is. I'd steer you toward something a little bigger for what you want.

10. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    I tried one with a Hofner Club. Not bad for the price. Vox makes great guitar amps so no one should be surprised.

11. TalkHofner

TalkHofner

Oct 17, 2010
    This is what I feared. Is there any other small amp that would have a good tone and could still be bought at most music stores?

Thanks again!

12. I have a VOX T15 and it is pretty cool, not sure this Pathfinder would bring anything different for me, as far as having a small practice amp goes. The T15 sounds good for what it is, ie a small, easy to carry amp that you can jam electric bass with an acoustic guitar.

13. TalkHofner

TalkHofner

Oct 17, 2010
    Rob & other "forum mates",

How would your T15 compare to Vox T60 (assuming I could find a used one)? Would the difference be simply power?

Out of curiosity, does anyone know why VOX has stopped producing the T series?

Thanks!

14. They both get a good bass tone, very basic and useable. Obviously, the T60 works better in a practice situation with a drummer. I like the T15 for just jamming around the house.

Still, the Pathfinder is tempting as it is about 5 lbs lighter, this would be cool to take to family and friends who want to have an acoustic jam.

15. Staccato

Staccato Low End Advocate

Aug 14, 2009
    Alabama
    Speakers: VOX Bulldog 5" x 2 (4 ohms)

If it's anything like the gui**** amp, Vox Pathfinder 15, or 15R, it is worth checking out for the living room! I've got the 15 (non-R) version that I bring out of the guest closet, occasionally.

16. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    This little thread just keeps coming back. Gotta love it. So, I've used the little Pathfinder with a synthesizer with pretty good results. It won't blow the walls down, but it does hold it's own for such a tiny thing.

17. Sweet! Didn't know they made a bass Pathfinder. I've had the Pathfinder 15 guitar amp for about five years now and it's great! Really nice tone with my Strat.
    It's also being used as my bass amp (it's the only amp I own), and it works surprisingly well! Get some pretty nice tones out of it for bass.

18. radicaldreamers

radicaldreamers

Apr 21, 2014
    Just picked one of these up and considering the price tag I'm pretty impressed! It's obviously just a practice amp, but it's the best I've played for under a hundred bucks (I paid $70).

19. waveman

waveman

Sep 25, 2008
    I have the Vox Cambridge 15, which is essentially the same thing as a Pathfinder 15R. Except mine only had tremolo, no reverb.

I have to say, I love this amp for guitar. It actually loud enough to gig with. It takes pedals digital or otherwise very well.

The amp section itself is great for Bass, though I would not use the built in speaker for that. I have attached my 2x10 avatar to the speaker out (which defeats the built in speaker), and it sounds great like that. I have often thought buying an used Pathfinder and making just a head out of that and making, or getting, 1x10 bass cab for it.

20. It IS cute. Looks like some one washed their AC30 in hot water and it shrank!!

My first amp was a VOX. It's the big name brand I growed up with. Everyone wanted a VOX. I still get a feeling of happiness when I see a VOX on a stage. :)