Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

VOX Super Beatle??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bigbutes89, Mar 7, 2006.

1. bigbutes89

bigbutes89

Mar 6, 2006
    Anyone have one of those???

2. R Briere

R Briere Bass-ically Yours

While the Vox Super Beatle will never win any awards as being the best "SOUNDING" amp on the planet, it CERTAINLY remains one of the coolest "looking". I give it a 9.5 on the zoot scale. I've owned four and would buy another in a heartbeat.

Thinking of using one as a bass amp? I'd think again. :^>)

3. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I used one back in "the day", Looked great, sounded terrible.

4. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    +1. The Beatles only used them until they didn't need Vox's money, then they switched to Fender.

5. bigtexashonk

bigtexashonk Supporting Member

I believe for the most part (excluding the 66 US tour) The Beatles used the British AC100. Lovely warm tubes instead of the harsh solid state stuff the Thomas Organ Co. gave us in the US. Completely different beast.

Not to say that Vox UK didn't build some very interesting solid state amps later - the Defiant and Conqueror are some of the coolest ss guitar amps ever.

I agree a Super Beatle is one of the coolest looking amps ever made.

6. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    I had 2 of them. They sat around so long, I sold the second one about a year ago. Very cool amps! Here is the link to all things VOX http://www.voxshowroom.com/

7. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Paul didn't use one his mates did. They were difficult to move. It was ungainly with the chrome frame attached and that was an effort to remove and then move. My guitarist used to tilt the cab back in the frame so it was at almost laying down lay his vox guitar on it as it fed back he would work the wammy bar. Cab had 4x12s and two horns. It did not sound good for bass.