1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

VT Bass Rack - Available?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Fair Warning, Mar 25, 2013.

1. Fair Warning

Fair Warning Deliverin' the Goods!

I see on Sweetwater that the VT Bass rack component preamp is for sale for $329. Has anyone taken delivery yet? I have an empty slot that is waiting and I think this would be good sound boost for any amp that I choose use.

2. Primakurtz

Primakurtz Registered Nihilist Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Denver, Colorado
    Sweetwater says May.

3. Fair Warning

Very Cool....thanks

4. jmp2203

jmp2203

Mar 8, 2013
    which is the advantage over the pedal version?

5. Which pedal version? There are THREE pedal versions now.

6. tech21nyc

tech21nyc Commercial User

Aug 17, 2010
    Manufacturer: Tech 21
    Tone wise, all the VT Bass products are based around the same circuit. There are some slight differences. It really comes down to application. Are you a pedal guy or rack guy? Do you need a DI or not? Do you want something small to fit in your gig bag or do you want an amp? etc.

7. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist ZOMG! I'm back from the dead! Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Yeah the only thing that can make me put my VT Bass Deluxe aside is an all-tube amp lol. For a pedal going into an SS amp, nothing else gets me closer to a tube amp sound. Some people use them for overdrive with an all-tuber, but I think it shines as a preamp into an SS power section. It also works as a freakin killer D.I., let us know how the rack one works for you!

8. Tonegasm

Tonegasm

Mar 22, 2010
    NJ
    With the new VT Bass DI, does the DI stay functional even when the effect is switched off?

9. tech21nyc

Aug 17, 2010
    Yes. Same as the Bass Driver and Para Driver DI's.

10. Fair Warning

I plan to run the VT Bass Rack into my SVT II NP, as a preamp. Currently I run a VT Bass pedal with any amp I plug into (tube or SS). Sometimes I must adjust the settings, but regardless of the heritage tube amps and the sound you can get plugged straight in, I find that using a VT Bass as a preamp always sounds better and more refinement of the sound you can get.

I am not sure if I will run the VT Bass Rack into the front (dual preamp) of the Ampeg or into the back (VT as a Preamp only), until I experiment a little.

I doubt that I will retire my VT Bass pedal, since sometimes I must play without my own rig. It stays with my board.

11. Does the VT DLX have all the same features as the VT RM? I mean, to me, it seems like the DLX would suit me better. I'd have to have a footswitch for the RM (using the FS port on the rear) anyhow, so I may as well have the presets and other functions of the DLX since I'd have something on the floor anyhow.

:)

12. tech21nyc

Aug 17, 2010
    No. They are based on the VT Bass platform but have different features. The Rack unit has blend, the internal jumpers for extra tonal options, parallel loop, internal power supply etc. The Deluxe has the ability to store presets, can be phantom powered, dual discrete inputs etc.

13. Thank you.

1.) Where is the parallel loop placed in the signal chain?

2.) Does the parallel loop have it's own level control or blend control?

3.) If so, is it at the beginning (input side) of the loop, or the end (output side) of the loop?

4.) Is the loop footswitchable?

5.) Where may I locate information on the tone jumpers?

~numbered for your convenience~ :)

Thanks 2.0

14. tech21nyc

Aug 17, 2010
    The EFX loop in the VT Bass Rack is configured the same as the RBI/RPM.

The jumpers in the VT Bass Rack give the ability to remove the sub sonic filter if desired. There are also jumpers to change the center frequency of the Bass control from 80,100 & 120Hz. You can also change the Mid control from 750Hz to 1kHz to 1.2kHz.

15. This is FANTASTIC news right here! Part of what has had me on the fence with the VT series was the fixed 500hz midrange control (at least that's what the specs say about it)...

http://www.tech21nyc.com/products/sansamp/images/VTBassControls_lg.jpg ...

The ability to change the freq centers is killa news. It makes it sortof a semi-semi-parametric system. Sounds like it might even be a mod-able thing that could be done with a toggle switch or three or perhaps a rotary switch (of course that would void any warranty).

Good show guys!

16. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    Any word on May still happening for the pedal? I have a hole on my pedalboard waiting for it.

17. Fair Warning

Ihave a hole in my rack that looks worse

18. 4StringsEnough

4StringsEnough

Mar 9, 2008
    I guess the answer is no, but does the speaker sim remain active on the DI when the effect is disengaged? Or, as I suspect, with the effect off, does the pedal just function as a normal active DI box with no tone controls? Can the DI be used passively with no power?

19. It seems like I saw some video ... might have been something from NAMM 2013 .. that was discussing some of those very issues re: the new VT-DI pedal. I'll see if I can locate it.

20. MY VT WISH LIST:

Rack unit, with presets, headphone out, footswitchable FX loop with operational status assigned to each preset, and a more flexible semi-parametric midrange control (like that which the Para-driver and RPM use).

If I can't have all of that, then:

Rack.
    Presets (just four or six would be totally fine)
    RPM-type semi parametric EQ.

I mean, Tech 21 has had that 100 preset rack goody for guitarists for a long LONG time (the "PSA"), it seems like a short step to either expand that to include VT-Bass voicing .. OR .. expand the VT-RM to be a little more like the PSA with the 100-odd presets.

Just sayin'.

Hmmm .. I may try modding a VTB 2.0 pedal to have MIDI-controllable knobs. It's not rocket science these days, MIDI-encoder pcbs are readily available from places such as PedalSync and Highly Liquid. I'd need to gut the VTB and rehouse it in a rack chassis .... I already have a half dozen of those in both 1U and 2U .. just sorta thinking out loud here.

Huh ... well .. I suppose thinking that over doesn't cost me a penny ... I'll mull it over a bit and see what comes from that. It may even be a commercially viable thing ... rack-mounted MIDI control modification to the little VTB pedal. Ya never know!