1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Wah

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by DaftCat, Mar 23, 2006.

1. DaftCat

DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    Being the impulse buyer I am(with the awareness of 30 day money back policy) I bought a bass crybaby.

I understand(on a high level) how wahs work but I don't know much about how to really use them.

Sure anyone can walk on and off of it but are there any videos or any verbal advice about accenting with bass. When to and when not to use wah?

Sorry if I appear obscure I am just hoping the TB wisdom will chime in to get me using this right.. I don't want to be an over-user either I just want to cry and sing baby!

Thanks in advance,

DCat

2. Dash Rantic

Dash Rantic

Nov 12, 2005
    Palo Alto, CA
    Here's how I use my 105q:

First, I sometimes use it to accentuate a certain note in a riff. It sounds pretty good like this, have the Q control up a bit but maybe not all the way, otherwise the wah can get a little overpowering.

That, or rocking it back and forth to the beat. It's best if you turn the "Q" control down a bit if this is what you end up mainly using it for (unless you're another Timmy C. wannabe like me ;) )

Final note would be to run distortion with the wah. Most people, myself included, prefer distortion before wah, but mess around with that a bit.

Good like, and happy wah-ing!

-Dash

3. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    This is how I use my wah, though it's not a 105q (still a dunlop though), and my Q is at the half-way mark. Otherwise it sounds to "quackish" for me.

+1. Dist before wah makes the wah sound all the more "wahish"

4. DaftCat

DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    Thanks for the tips.. I'm gigging out of town this weekend and will set up the dist before the wah...cuz you said so! :)

Dcat