1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Wal vs Warrior

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Szymanski862, Jan 16, 2012.

1. Szymanski862

Szymanski862

Jan 12, 2012
    I have been saving for a very long time and am soon going to be purchasing a very high end bass. I have narrowed it down to a Warrior signature series or a Wal MkII. Both are very similar in price range. Just curious what everybody here thinks is the better choice. Thanks!:)

2. SBsoundguy

SBsoundguy

Sep 2, 2011
    Los Angeles
    I'd hate to have to make that choice man. If a gun was to my head i'd go for the Wal.

3. willsellout

willsellout Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2002
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Sweetwater Sales Engineer
    Wal, without a doubt.

4. handofseven

handofseven Soaking up the cathode rays...

Mar 23, 2010
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    If you can afford a Wal, I can't think of a single reason to get a Warrior over it. That is, unless the Warrior is a better bass for YOU.

5. CORBS

CORBS

Dec 28, 2010
    Definitely Wal... are you talking one of the new ones being built or a "classic" Wal?

6. Szymanski862

Szymanski862

Jan 12, 2012
    However i have yet to actually play a wal bass. Ppl may think im crazy for wanting to buy one without playing it but everything about them is so amazing and the sound is incredible. So all i dont know is if they play good, i heard they were on the heavier side but have not heard about their necks. Also has anyone ever heard a slap tone on a wal bass everything i look up is walking.

7. Szymanski862

Szymanski862

Jan 12, 2012
    A new one being built. I would love a classic wal but i dont want to wait around waiting for one to pop up used and somebody wants 7000 dollars for it i would rather order it new to my specs.

8. gravesbass

gravesbass Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2006
    San Jose, CA
    Endorsing Artist: MesaBoogie-SpectorBass-Dunlop-EMG Pickups-Darkglass-Hipshot
    Wal +1

9. Everyone is going to say Wal because they're iconic basses but I say, instead of leaving it to TB to make up your mind, hit Youtube and make the decision for yourself. When it comes to basses of that quality, there is no "better" only what you prefer.

10. willsellout

willsellout Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2002
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Sweetwater Sales Engineer
    I think in this instance there is definitely a "better". Make sure and use your headphones when you watch youtube:D

11. PazzoBasso

PazzoBasso

Jan 21, 2011
    YYZ
    Better resale value - WAL
    & if your looking for that unique Wal tone - Wal (although they're capable of a variety of tones)
    If you need an anointed instrument - Warrior (or have your Wal blessed)

I've seen some very pretty Warrior basses & they're very likely finely built instruments, but I'd vote for the Wal...

12. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    I'd say Wal. Nothing against Warrior...but this is Wal we're talking about. Wal makes their own pickups, preamps, knobs, bridges...all that stuff. Warrior uses off the shelf stuff...top notch off the shelf stuff, but again....this is Wal we're talking about.

13. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    I guess it depends on what you want. Truthfully, I've never been a fan of that pointy body by the bridge on a Warrior, so I'd vote Wal if you're after one of the offered body types and string counts. If you have a custom body in mind or want more than what Wal offers, Warrior is probably the better choice.

14. Totally different sounding basses. Not many basses sound like the Wal.

15. TomA1234

TomA1234

Jul 27, 2009
    Fareham, England
    Listen to pretty much anything from Blood Sugar Sex Magik by RHCP. A Wal was used for the majority of that album.

Naked in the rain and Power of Equality are good for slap samples.

16. I would just like to hold a Wal!
    My holy grail of basses. I've wanted one since I saw Geddy Lee with his black one in the "Big Money" video back in '85. I even bought a black Ibanez Roadstar II becuase I thought it sorta, kinda , maybe looked a bit like his Wal.
    Brent

17. Szymanski862

Szymanski862

Jan 12, 2012
    Man i was not expecting such a one sided turnout lol. Makes me wonder why i considered warrior as one of my top picks!
    Thank you for your input everybody,
    -Mike

18. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Me too exactly!

19. nismaniac

nismaniac

Feb 21, 2005
    OKC, OK
    So did Geddy use the Wal on complete albums or just song to song? I would love a list of albums or songs that used the Wal so I can go back and analyze them.