walking jazz

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by ron, Nov 28, 2003.

1. ron

Nov 17, 2003
    Im trying to learn jazz and how to walk, can anyone recomend some excercises to start off?
  2. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    I'd say this is more along the lines of a General Instruction thread. I'll move it there. :)
  3. Lovebown

Jan 6, 2001
    Listen to lots of jazz with walking bass lines. Transcribe a blues walking line and learn to play it yourself.
    Put a metronome and have it click on 2 and 4 and practice playing walking over that.

Walking bass is a lifelong study!

4. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Welcome to TB!

The search function in the bottom right of the page can help you find old threads, always check there first. If your question is not answered then make a post.

HERE is an old post that might help you!

5. James S

James S

Apr 17, 2002
    New Hampshire

While learning to play good walking lines you can begin with some simple formuli to get you going.

And yes, the above mentioned activities are necessary to become a good player however at your stage it is far to difficult to just "walk", or transcribe, or listen and immitate.

Do not be afraid to study and practice those elements that are used when plalying a good line. i.e. Roots, Chord, Tones, Approaches,
    etc. Many students get very frustrated and give up because they choose too difficult a task to begin with. The sounds of Jazz are so unique and varied to many young ears that it takes study to even begin to recognize the pitches and organization.

This topic has been discussed at length on TB so you have a tremendous reference at your finger tips.

Ron, I would like to recommend a CD and a Book. I use these everyday in my teaching with great results.
    cd: http://www.jimstinnett.com/cds.html#anchorroots