1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Want a second bass, what should i get?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassistFreak416, Mar 20, 2009.

1. i currently own an ibanez gsr200, which i love, but have wanted to get a second similar bass. i have been thinking about a fender, squire, esp, dean, ibanez, etc, but just cant find the right choice.

id like something similar to my ibanez: light weight, fast neck, good punchy tone, pj setup. currently im looking at an esp b-50, esp f series, fender/squire pj bass, something in the $200-350 range.

what do you guys think?

2. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    An SX.

3. Gubna

Gubna

Oct 21, 2006
    San Francisco
    save your money and get something good.

when you said PJ, all I could think of was a SPECTOR!

4. Mikio

Mikio

Feb 21, 2009
    Santiago de Chile
    well, another Ibanez lol, but if you want something different yet similar, I'd recommend an LTD/ESP or a Spector

5. all the spectors i found either cost in the thousands or werent pj. idk about an sx, id rather go with a fender personally

6. oh forgot, on esp, how could i get one ordered with pj pickups, or get a specific setup?

7. lizardking837

lizardking837

Jan 28, 2009
    If you could find a used, bolt-on Spector it wouldn't be too expensive. (around $400-700).

8. Used Spectors come up on ebay from time to time; look for a NS2A: late 80's thru early 90's, neck thru, actives. Great players (I have one in red stain) EMG's are a BIG plus, most came with Spector p'ups, which are ok, but the EMG PJ combo is much better. Anyway, these import versions of the NS2 usually go around 350 - 600, and are worth the $$$ spent, IMO...

9. Gothic

Gothic

Apr 13, 2008
    Greece
    Yammie BB414 is outstanding for the money. Squier VM and CV series are also extraordinary, but no P/J configuration there. Still a great value, though. Perhaps a used Fender MIM (Aerodyne, Bello sig.)? Maybe if you can find a used Godin Freeway as well. In any case, today's "cheapos" aren't cheap. You can get a pretty good bass with very little money, so either choice can't be too bad, considering most can be great platforms for any future mods. Anyway, go out, try whatever you can get your hands on, and then make a decision.

10. I have a Squier P Bass Special (P/J) and an SX (P/J) as back ups. They are both great in their own way. The SX has a P neck, the Squier Special has a Jazz neck. One has flats, one has stainless. I upgraded the SX but left the Squier as is.

11. hmm, a washburn t-14 looks pretty nice. price is perfect (as their site says). anyone have had any experience with washburn?

12. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    1. Save your money and go with something of higher quality.

2. Buy a P bass and drop in some aftermarket PJs.

3. Buy parts and assemble your own, that's how I plan on acquiring my next PJ.

13. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Buy used. Sell your Traben before buying anything else, that will help your funds. Why do you say its your second bass, when youre selling a Traben?

14. oh, i didnt explain that. im trying to sell my traben and replace it with a different bass. i hope to get about $300 off of it, which should be enough to find a good replacement.
    i have found a spector for 300 in a "orange edges and yellow center", but it has soapbar pickups. id prefer the pj setup, but with its price, i think it will pay off

15. Basso Gruvitas

Basso Gruvitas Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2000
    Dallas/Ft. Worth TX
  16. NOVAX

NOVAX

Feb 7, 2009
    Kalifornia
    You already have your second bass. Get a used MIM P
    300-350, have an expert rout for jazz and drop in some
    nice aftermarket PJ's and now......that's a bass....IMHO:D
    Gothic's thoughts are spot on. You can gleen a lot of
    solid info from TB. Have fun on your quest.

17. what is the average cost of skjold?

18. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

Godin SD if you need the p/j..

Peavey Dyna (VFL Pickups) if you're looking for a higher quality bass.

Both of these shoujld be under $300.

T.

19. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    How about a bass which sounds different than your current instrument?

A fretless wearing flats, or a five-string bass would allow you to explore new playing/music styles.

20. Jimmy Bones

Jimmy Bones

Feb 24, 2009
    Baxley, GA
    I'm a little partial to Schecter Stilettos. Fast neck, dual humbuckers, plenty of punch. Not exactl what you're looking for, but it's something to think about.