1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Want heavier strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by steve9000gi, Jul 27, 2007.

1. I've got 45-130 SS Sadowskys on my Sadowsky 5-24 and I'd like heavier strings. The high G still just seems too light and, as nice as it is, it seems to me the low B could give a solider, better-centered tone if it were a little (or even a lot) thicker. I don't mind heavy: I'm 6'8" and 250 lb. I've done some googling and it appears that the only heavier mainstream 5-string sets available are 50-135, one from D'Addario and one from Fodera. Anyone tried these, and , if so, whaddya think? I've liked DR High Beams in the past but they don't go up that thick. To tell the truth, I wouldn't mind trying something like 55-140. Drawbacks? Benefits? Your thoughts, please. Thanks, all.

-Steve

2. knuckle_head

knuckle_head Commercial User

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
    Only drawback is that when you hit the .135/.140/.145 mark you start to notice the dampening that too many winds cause. Most of this gauge have 4 wraps.

FWIW Dean Markley has a 3 wrap .135 in their SR2000 series. It isn't a part of a set, but if you get a heavy 4 set and get the .135 as a single I bet you'd like it.

3. BellBottomBlues

BellBottomBlues

Feb 21, 2007
    New York
    Endorser:Fender User:Rotosound, LaBella, Ashdown, Lindy Fralin
    How about the rotosound 5ivers?

4. Thanks for your replies. Google didn't turn up any Rotosound or Dean Markley string references for > .130. Can you give me specific links? Also still interested in hearing about experiences with the heavy Fodera strings. Thanks again.

-Steve

5. knuckle_head

knuckle_head Commercial User

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
  6. BellBottomBlues

BellBottomBlues

Feb 21, 2007
    New York
    Endorser:Fender User:Rotosound, LaBella, Ashdown, Lindy Fralin
    The rotos only go up to 130, but they are high tension strings.

A lot of people look for 'heavier' strings because they feel that normal bass strings have to much give when they pluck them. I suggest you at least give'em a try. La Bellas are also high tension and might be what you're looking for but theyre a hassle to get.

7. Bass Below

Bass Below

Oct 24, 2006
    New York
    I had a Fodera .145 Nickel round wound on my bass before I got the SIT/Conklin .165... It was part of a custom set I ordered directly from Fodera.

The Foderas are definitely nice strings, obviously well made. They had a nice warm, full sound, yet still bright but not clangy. Plus the people at Fodera were very accommodating and a pleasure to deal with, and the prices were extremely reasonable, which doesn't hurt.

8. FenderP

FenderP

May 7, 2005
    Rotos and LaBellas are arguably the highest tension strings out there. I've used the RS77 .130 flatwound and it's a nice string, but I won't say it's for everyone. The RS88 set I think is even thicker ...