1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Wanting to quit playing the bass...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by black4string, May 13, 2006.

1. I started my own defret project about 6 months ago, thanks to this site, i got tons of information about defretting.

So, Upon finishing it, i expected my interest in playing the bass to heighten back up again. For about 2 weeks, all i did was play the "new" bass.

But since last week, i totally lost interest in playing.
    I see my basses, and just marvel at their beauty...
    Staring at them makes me want to play better so i could use the, to their full potential.

Here comes in my problem.
    I can't play like i used to anymore. Sad to say, i lost interest in playing.
    BUT, Whenever i see any bass, both in this site and the ones i use, It makes me want to play again.

I have been playing for about 5 years already and only had formal lessons for about 1 month. Just to get me started. Since then, i have been self taught, plus additional tips from professional i met along my 5 year journey.

Maybe a teacher is what i'm missing...
    Or maybe a band...

I try to avoid getting into bands because alll the ones i've joined only gave me bad experiences.

Please help me, i don't want to quit playing...

i say to myself "If i quit, i would only be wasting the time, effort and money put into my basses and my playing"

Any comment is welcome, positive or negative.

Thanks

2. A teacher will help you expand yes, but IMO being in a band is the best thing about bass. Thats the drive for leaning new songs and enhancing your tecnique, and gigging gives you the chance to check out other bassists etc.

IMO: dont let a few bad experiances ruin what is the best part of bass :p even if its just getting some mates together and jamming

3. We had a 'jam project' that was a loose group of musicians who would gather when they could to do musicial explorations every Monday night. We had an open invitation to a bunch of our musician friends to meet on Monday night to jam in my friend's basement studio. It did not matter who came because we never played the same thing twice. We always laid down a groove and improvised over it and recorded everything. Somtimes it was amazing! Sometimes it was luke warm... but rarely was it dull or off.

The thing about it being an 'open-ended' project was good because everyone who showed up really wanted to be there but no one felt obligated. People always showed up. It was a great way for us to keep our musical jones in check.

4. morf

morf Banned

Feb 17, 2006
    Youre just in a bad period. Find something new and interesting to play. Finding new things to play has ALWAYS brought my interest back.

When this happens to me, I either learn something new, or keep playing non stop until I start enjoying again. Sometimes it takes time to find your groove again, but if you keep at it, play play play, you'll get over this.

5. nonohmic

nonohmic Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2005
    ABQ, NM.
    Your in a rut. It happens. Last time that happened to me I bought new strings. Got me right back into it.

6. Lowner

Lowner

May 14, 2005
    Over Here
    I go through those phases too. I started on guitsr and has lessons on guitar but never bass. I am completely self taught on bass. Yes, to a degree seeing a great looking bass keeps me wanting to play. But what I do is either go to a music store or go on line and buy an instructional DVD or book and learn something new. That always keeps me interested in the bass.

7. X Wolf

X Wolf Guest

Wow, the title of this thread put a chill up my spine. Don't give up! I've been playing for 45 years and I feel really fortunate that the thought of not being interested in playing Bass has never even crossed my mind. Give yourself the benefit of the doubt that this is just a phase or a low point and know that all endeavours have ups and downs, maybe you just need a break. I wish you lifelong joy in whatever you pursue, bassplaying or otherwise.

George

8. I agree "Don't Give Up"... I've been playing for just over four years and I almost have always had some kind of band project going on. Some short lived (a few months), some where the band broke up after two years and then got back together again. This time better... There will always be band politics and a drama queen out there. But there is always someone out there looking for a good bass player. I've found that jammin' with others have made me a better player and keeps me motivated. I've just decided to go for it for. Maybe taking lessons will help. Discover a musical genre you're in to and then find some other musicians who play that style. You'll start having fun!

9. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    You might try listening to some "bass music". When i say this-i mean bass player music that features the bass quite heavily. If you don't own Jaco's self titled-CD, you try picking it up. After listening to it [and well-after i listen to it every time] i get new ideas about what is possible and what i can steal from it.

Other CDs that i think are just cool to listen to are: Bass Extremes [any] along with a whole host of others.

Other ideas: Try finding a teacher again-sometimes they can really make you want to play more. I find that after lessons i feel like i've had doors opened that i never knew existed. :)

New strings or an effects thingy are also options.

take it easy and don't give up man-it's worth sticking through it.