Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warmoth 6 string Jazz bass - "Barney" 4 sale

Discussion in '[OLD FORUM] Bass Guitars, Amps, and Accessories: F' started by Bass Kahuna, Apr 28, 2004.

1. Bass Kahuna

Bass Kahuna

Dec 3, 2002
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Luthier, Custom Builder
    Hi All,

I have decided to sell "Barney", a 6 string Warmoth Jazz bass that I restored last year. Between the basses I already have and the basses I'm buildlig for myself, Barney just doesn't get much playing time.

[​IMG]

The neck is a 5 piece maple and mahogany, with a nice, dark and oily rosewood fingerboard. The action is excellent (typical excellent fretwork from Warmoth). The neck has dual truss rods, both of which work perfectly and the nuts on them turn nice and smooth. Fingerboard is a 12" radius.

Body is alder, with a quilted maple top. Not the best figuring in the quilt, imho.

This neck was originally sold by Warmoth as a "really big 5" or something to that nature. It was marketed as a 5 string bass neck with full string spacing, that was wide enough for 6 strings, which is how it had been setup before I bought it. The neck is about 3 1/8" wide at the last fret.

It has two EMG 45-P active pickups. Currently wired for stereo outputs, although I will be happy to rewire for Mono for you. The bridge is a black Kahler, and the tuners are chrome. Black Dunlop straplocks are included.

Currently setup with Ken Smith stainless steel rockmaster strings, .030 to .130.

Barney has that great "fender" sound and feel!

If you want to know more about Barney, and see the restoration process, you can visit my site at:

http://www.gwbasses.com/projects/archive/barney/index.shtml

I would like to get $450, which includes a hardshell case.

:^)~

2. Bass Kahuna

Bass Kahuna

Dec 3, 2002
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Luthier, Custom Builder
    Hi Gang,

I've received a couple of requests for pics of the headstock, so here they are!

[​IMG]

Front of headstock

[​IMG]

Rear of headstock.

There are two of those allen key holders mounted on the rear of the headstock. They were there when I got it, and are typically used for stowing and allen key that will fit the bridge saddles.

3. egb41

egb41

Mar 26, 2003
    U.S.A OHIO Columbus
    No bites yet? I really really want it!! If you still have it in about a week I will get it. What is the string spacing at the bridge, and what is the action like please? You can contact me direct if you prefer. My e-mail addy is in my profile.

4. egb41

egb41

Mar 26, 2003
    U.S.A OHIO Columbus
    What is the scale length, string spacing at the bridge, and how is the b strimg. I like a bass with some mojo :D But the style of music I play (modern gospel and smooth jazz)demands a useable range from the low b. I really can appreciate all of the time/effort that you've put into this bass and would love to have it. If you still have it in about a week and the b string is okay.You can contact me direct if you like my e-mail addy is in my profile

5. funkcicle

funkcicle

Jan 9, 2004
    Asheville, NC
    beautiful bass/beautiful price! Shame I didn't see this thread 2 days earlier!

6. Bass Kahuna

Bass Kahuna

Dec 3, 2002
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Luthier, Custom Builder
    Hi egb41,

I still have the bass. It is a 34" scale. The B string is pretty solid, and gives the same output as the other strings. The string spacing is a little tight at the bridge, and the nut is a bit wider than what I would call standard. The neck was originally marketed by Warmoth as a 5 string neck with FULL fender spacing, and was therefore wide enough for 6 strings.

Anyway, I'll measure the string spacing if you like at the nut and bridge and get those to you.

7. Bass Kahuna

Bass Kahuna

Dec 3, 2002
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Luthier, Custom Builder
    Bump....

Wow, I really thought Barney would have a new home by now...

8. bassnote6

bassnote6

Oct 15, 2002
    SYRACUSE NEW YORK
    Endorsing Artist:MTD Basses
    :hyper: i think barney just found a new home

9. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    He's got a home with me if bassnote6 passes!!! :bassist: :ninja:

10. Bass Kahuna

Bass Kahuna

Dec 3, 2002
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Luthier, Custom Builder
    Yeup,

Barney has found a new home!