1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Warmoth neck......?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sands, Jul 31, 2020 at 9:52 AM.

1. Do it

53 vote(s)
    72.6%
  2. Don’t do it

13 vote(s)
    17.8%
  3. Do it but add Fender logo

7 vote(s)
    9.6%
  1. Sands

Sands Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2016
    So the showcase has a sweet Jazz Bass neck I’m thinking about. Qtr sawn, flame maple, ebony fretboard, graphite rods, ss frets, vintage tint, bound and blocked. I have a black 74 AVRI currently with a 2019 USA PRO Jazz neck.

Even if I sold the neck I have currently, between shipping, tax, and tuners, it would cost me probably about $500+ out of pocket. And it would weigh more with the vintage style tuners. Hmm. I’d have to save my pennies. Or I could wait for Fender to release the RW bound and blocked 70s someday or spend a few hundred bucks more for a vintage neck. I’ve been watching for a 74 AVRI neck but haven’t seen one in quite awhile. I think the vintage and 74 AVRI would probably weigh more, and would not have SS, graphite shafts, flames, or dark ebony.

D58ACC43-B9D4-49E7-A33A-16301E701355.jpeg

2. beatdatthang

beatdatthang

Aug 29, 2011
    Arkansas
    I have 2 Warmoth necks on Basses. I love them.

3. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Man, you’re brave posting that here. I would be nervous someone would poach it on me.

If blocks were my thing, I would think it was beautiful.

No reservations about purchasing anything Warmoth. If you have the extra stamps laying around you should buy it - quickly :D

4. HearNoStevil

HearNoStevil

Jul 17, 2020
    Keep in mind that Warmoth necks are not plug and play. Sure, you can use them out of the box, but they are not ideal that way and aren't intended to be by Warmoth. I was shocked to learn that, and even more shocked at the number of people who accept this without question.

A Warmoth neck will require fret leveling and crowning as well as filing down the sharp fret edges. They advertise that this is how they are meant to be, since they require the player to do a fret job to the individual player's preference.

And, I was even more shocked to learn that the fretboard edges are not addressed. At all. They are sharp enough to nearly cut you. Warmoth's response was that it is up to the individual player to roll the edges to their liking-even though the neck may already have a finish on it. Warmoth states that rolled edges, once removed, cannot be put back. They don't address the fact that in order to roll the edges, the neck will have to be refinished.

Again, they are not plug and play.

Years ago I bought an all PauFerro jazz neck. It had a beautiful "sanding sealer" finish (all necks, whether technically advertised as not having a "finish" are all actually shipped with at least a sanding sealer finish). However, the fretboard edges were terribly uninvitingly sharp, the fret nubs were sticking out a tiny bit like little thumb-tack tips, the neck was heavy as a boat anchor (not their fault), and frets weren't the least bit level. When I inquired about all the above, that's when I got the response-from Warmoth-that this is normal for a new Warmoth neck. They are not intended to be a "finished" product at the time of purchase. That's up to you (or a luthier) to do a fretjob, leveling, rolling the edges, and refinishing the neck.

From Warmoth's website: "Please note, Warmoth does not perform fret leveling. Most Warmoth necks are playable as they are received and do not require fret leveling. However, because wood moves with changes in temperature, humidity and string tension fret leveling may be required. This is best done after the neck has been strung up to pitch for several days and allowed to adjust in the assembled state. For this reason, Warmoth leaves this fine tuning to the end user. On necks with Maple fretboards, where the finish covers the fretboard, the finish is sprayed directly over the frets. This finish will wear off quickly with use, or it can be scraped off quite easily. A fret leveling operation will also take it off."

Again, Warmoth never addressed the need for a refinish after you roll the edges a bit to get rid of the super sharp fretboard edges. My neck was shipped with a beautiful sanding sealer finish (that I did not want to ruin), and it would not look the same once I took sandpaper to roll the edges. That concern was not addressed by Warmoth. It's part of the experience.

Needless to say that was my first and last Warmoth neck.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020 at 10:34 AM
    Leonid Nidis likes this.
  5. Sands

Sands Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2016
    Yeah I know. But I do think Warmoth should build more necks like this one on their showcase. These aren’t seconds or custom orders that fell thru. These showcase necks are made specifically for the showcase - I didn’t realize that for awhile. I could go for a quarter sawn + ebony blocked + graphite, without the flames, binding, SS and be very happy. But this one is loaded and the flames look great - fairly deep and consistent. Someone will definitely be very happy. I’m not exactly ready at the moment.

charlie monroe likes this.
  6. Sands

Sands Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2016
    I’ve never had to level frets on a Warmoth but I have rolled edges. Same on my Fender USA. No refin required on ebony or RW.

Funkinthetrunk, jt62 and 1960jbass like this.
  7. HearNoStevil

HearNoStevil

Jul 17, 2020
    There was also "no finish required" on my all Warmoth PauFerro neck. However, that doesn't mean it didn't already have a sanding sealer finish applied from Warmoth that if you rolled the edges, you had to refinish it if you wanted it to look good.

And, when I rolled the edges, the resulting lack of a sanding sealer finish on those areas was noticeable and it frankly greatly upset me.

Since PauFerro doesn't require a finish, they shouldn't have used a sanding sealer on it.

But, from the Warmoth site: "All our necks are dipped in an oil based penetrating sealer which is compatible with virtually all secondary finishes. This provides enhanced stability; however, it is not adequate protection for playing." If Warmoth hadn't sealed it (when it didn't need a finish in the first place) then it wouldn't have gotten screwed up by finishing the fine fret and edgework that they truthfully should be providing already for such an expen$$$$ive neck.

DiscoRiceJ likes this.
  8. Rabidhamster

Rabidhamster

Jan 15, 2014
    That’s an excellent looking neck and Warmoth makes really good stuff.

Plus if a 74 RI neck comes available you’re going to have competition ;)
    You can order soft or heavy rolled finger board edges. Sanding Sealer isn’t a finish, it isn’t durable enough. It seals the neck til youre ready to spray finish - if you’re sanding on your new neck don’t do it til youre ready to finish the neck.
    But if you don’t want sanding sealer don’t pay extra for sanding sealer. Nobody is forcing it on you. To me the choice is either have Warmoth finish it all the way or don’t. No half measure finish

of course you don’t NEED to sand to roll the fretboard edges - you can use a long smooth-walled socket to roll the edges

9. HearNoStevil

HearNoStevil

Jul 17, 2020
    Some questions:

1) When did Warmoth start offering soft or heavy rolled fingerboard edges? I don't see it on their website.

2) When did Warmoth give you the option to NOT have a sanding sealer? Their website specifically states that ALL of their necks are dipped in sanding sealer.

3) Where did you find this information?

BTW...you can't really roll the edges of a bound fretboard with a smooth-walled socket.

Rabidhamster likes this.
  10. Sands

Sands Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2016
    I use StewMacs fret edge file. One side is smooth and convex. It works well. I would not refinish RW or Ebony with sanding sealer. Just a few drops of oil over the whole thing. Easy peasy. Besides that, they are filed already, just barely. It’s not like they are razor sharp edges or something as if they were filed to the edge angle and left like that. They have the minimal rounding for those who like that presumably. Not hugely different than factory Fenders. I had a new Warmoth strat neck with stainless frets. Never rounded them. They were fine, but I probably would have gotten around to rounding them at some point. I’m sure there are many who never touch the edges.

11. Sands

Sands Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2016
    Don’t forget to vote.

12. FantasticFour

FantasticFour

Dec 14, 2013
    Europeland
    I thought maple couldn't be quartersawn AND flame?

13. Sands

Sands Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2016
  14. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    I'm not a fan of the bound & blocked look, but all ^^^these other things, from Warmoth? That is one badass bass neck! I'd hit it.

I currently own two basses with Warmoth necks, and I have a Warmoth guitar neck incoming. They build excellent stuff.

bongostealth and Sands like this.
  15. Absolutely do it. And I've never had to do any fret leveling on any of the necks I have gotten from Warmoth, and only minimal edge rolling on a few. That's nonsense "Warmoth neck require fret leveling". I've compared mine to Fenders in stores, and think the Warmoth necks better in most cases, especially every one of my roasted maple necks.

16. Warmoth necks are great. I have 3. But be aware they have 2 steel stiffening bars in them, so they are heavy. Carbon Fiber stiffening rods are an option.
    Unless you get the slim profile, they are also somewhat chunky IMO.

17. roborend

roborend Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2012
    Rock Island Illinois
    That's a nice neck, however I avoid ebony fret boards when possible because it adds a lot of weight in my experience vs most other woods

Sands likes this.
  18. HearNoStevil

HearNoStevil

Jul 17, 2020
    Again, from Warmoth's website:

"Please note, Warmoth does not perform fret leveling. Most Warmoth necks are playable as they are received and do not require fret leveling. However, because wood moves with changes in temperature, humidity and string tension fret leveling may be required. This is best done after the neck has been strung up to pitch for several days and allowed to adjust in the assembled state. For this reason, Warmoth leaves this fine tuning to the end user. On necks with Maple fretboards, where the finish covers the fretboard, the finish is sprayed directly over the frets. This finish will wear off quickly with use, or it can be scraped off quite easily. A fret leveling operation will also take it off."

Sands likes this.
  19. Yes, I'm aware of all that. It says "may be required" and in my cases, as many others, it was not required at all. Don't imply that all their necks need it, as that would be inaccurate.

stuntbass77, InnerCityBass and Sands like this.
  20. HearNoStevil

HearNoStevil

Jul 17, 2020
    Don't imply that Warmoth necks needing fret leveling is "nonsense" when their own literature states they NEVER level frets.

That would be grossly inaccurate.