Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

warmoth necks

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fenderx55, Mar 11, 2005.

1. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    anyone know which is warmer for a fretless fretboard? pau ferro or rosewood. I'm making a warmoth neck and i'm looking for a nice rich sound.
    thanks

2. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    I believe many luthiers use both of these woods to get the same effect for a fretted bass. There probably is not a big difference, just pick a good piece..

3. bwbass

bwbass

May 6, 2002
    WA
    Pau ferro is quite a bit harder and more durable, IMO. Brighter than rosewood, I'd say.

4. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Well, I'm wrong. If anyone knows wood it's BW!!

(thread closed)

5. I got my fretless neck from Warmoth, Pau Ferro, and I'm not sure if it's the neck, the body [constructed it myself from birdseye maple], or the combination of the two, but everyone who hears it thinks it has a great sound. The guy at the music store said that it even sounded better than the fretless basses on the wall.

By the way, my Warmoth neck is of great quality! ;)

6. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    sweet thanks alot

7. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

What about ebony? I thought that ebony was supposed to be one of the best woods for fretless -- I've heard really good things about it's warmth and "mwah." :confused: Lakland is going to offer ebony as a fretless in a few months; I'm not sure if they've stopped making the rosewood ones or if it's an addition to the line.

I was just looking at Warmoth ebony fretless necks, because I was considering trying to build a fretless from the ground up, but I think it's a more expensive proposition than I had first anticipated.

8. NOLA Bass

NOLA Bass Mr. Worst Case Scenario Man Gold Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2005
    New Orleans LA
    I'd recommend going with Ebony on a fretless for durability reasons.

9. Johnny Fila

Johnny Fila Formerly "The Crusader"

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    rosewood does not have as tight a grain as the pao ferro, resulting in a warmer sound :D

10. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    This thread is inching it's way over to "luthiers corner", but isn't there more than one type of rosewood? I thought that the general term "rosewood" was used to describe more than one species of wood, maybe I have it confused with ebony. I am not smart..

11. bwbass

bwbass

May 6, 2002
    WA
    It's more the oil/resin content of rosewood that makes it warmer, I think.

"True Rosewoods" are trees of the genus "Dalbergia" which includes indian and brazilian rosewood, as well as cocobolo. Not pau ferro, though, which is often confusingly referred to as Bolivian Rosewood.

12. Johnny Fila

Johnny Fila Formerly "The Crusader"

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    Yeah? I always figured it was in the density of the wood. The more dense the wood the brighter the sound. henceforth open grain woods, like rosewood, are less dense giving a warmer sound. Could be both I suppose. I guess that I am just hypothesizing, but maple is awefully dense (especially rock maple), ebony is dense, macassar ebony seems dense (the mixture of that neck with my alder body/quilt maple top is unbelievable) resulting in a bright sound. I guess that's why you try to balance the 2 (body and neck)
    Wonder what an Ipe neck would be like? superbright I suppose or warm cause of the oil content (lots of oil, very heavy wood. has the same fire rating as concrete)
    any thoughts brian to Ipe? have you guys done that?
    john :cool:

13. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    so if im going for a nice warm sound, but still has a jbass bark, go pau ferro?