1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Warmoth P-Bass Build

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by ErikW, Apr 24, 2010.

1. Building a mahogany bodied, maple/pau ferro jazz neck p-bass using Warmoth body and neck. More to come.

Attached Files:

2. that wood grain looks awesome!! can't wait to see it done . . .

3. very nice!!

4. Sanded body with 220 grit and attempted epoxy grain fill the back of the body, FAIL! I just couldn't get the hang of it and abandoned that route. So, I spent better part of a day sanding epoxy back off of the body. Next I sprayed the body with Deft sanding sealer. A medium heavy coat, let it dry for a day, sanded with 320 grit and applied a second coat of sealer and repeated sanding. The Deft sealer did a decent job of filling a good part of the grain. I then proceded to apply Behlen stringed instrument lacquer. Sanded with 500 grit paper between each coat. Each coat was left to dry for at least a day. After about the 5th or 6th coat the grain was non existant. Going for a total of 10 coats. I have 2 more to go. These pics are coats 5 and 7.

Attached Files:

5. This is after coat 8. 2 more to go. They're calling for a lot of rain for the next 4 days, so no more coats until probably next weekend. That will give it plenty of time to cure. I know everyone is going to say I should have grain filled, but this is working so far. plus it has a nice deep finish. More to come.

Erik

Attached Files:

6. ...............is that African Mahogany..??

7. Brad Barker

Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    looks like sapele to me.

8. looking good!!

9. Yes, Warmoth uses African Mahogany

10. HogieWan

HogieWan

Feb 4, 2008
    Lafayette, LA
    Most sanding sealer is just thin shellac, which is a great filler, it just takes a lot of coats.

11. I decided to tint the maple on the neck so there wouldn't be such a sharp contrast to the mahogany. A trip to Lowes netted me three different shades to try. I used the base of the neck (where the bolt holes are) to try out the different shades and ended up with Minwax's Ipswich Pine stain. Gives it a nice vintage shade. Picture kinda sucks (camera phone) and doesn't do it justice. I sanded the maple with 320 grit paper, cleaned it with naptha and applied the stain as per minwax's directions. I think I'm going to go with a second coat. I'll decide after the 4-6 hour recommended drying time.
    More to come.

Erik

Attached Files:

12. The weather gods were on my side today and I was able to get coat number 9 on the body and another coat of stain on the neck. The neck looks awesome. Hard to tell from the pics. Tomorrow I'll seal and clear the neck and hopefully get the last coat of clear on the body. Then comes 3-4 days of drying before wet sand and buff.

More to come.

Erik

Attached Files:

13. More pics

Attached Files:

14. Better shot of the neck after second coat of stain. Just going for a subtle vintage tint. Worked out great.

Attached Files:

15. Trial fitting of the neck, bridge and pups before the final coat of clear. Had to shave off a little clearcoat and sand the pocket rim a little because of build up after nine coats.

Attached Files:

16. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    This thread makes me wonder: Will Warmoth update the size of their P-necks to match what Fender now produces (1.625"), or will they stay at the older 1.75" size?

17. changes at Warmoth occur very slowly, but I am not complaining at all! To me they are the best alternative to a custom shop Fender.

18. That Behlen is great stuff. Looks fabulous, I like to fill with lacquer or shellac

19. Wet sanded body with 1000 then 2000, and then hand polished. Shielded pickup cavities and control cavity, reassembled body.

Attached Files:

20. I'm ready for the sh*t storm about the decal but that's what I wanted on there. It will never be sold. I built it to have a nice passive studio bass for our home studio. That being said she's all done and is dead quiet and sounds fantastic. The first set of strings I'm trying are GHS Bass Boomers, 45-65-85-105. Going to give them a chance to "break in" then try some Fender flats.

Attached Files: