1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

warmoth quality?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by therex, Sep 21, 2008.

1. therex

therex

Jun 24, 2007
    lima
    so how warmoth`s quality? i am looking to build my dream bass, but its quite similar to a fender MIA p bass,
    is warmoth quality the same as MIA fenders? or even better?:hyper:almost as good?:) is it better than MIM quality? :meh:better than squier affinty?:confused:

PS sorry for my enlglish

2. Georynn

Georynn

Dec 4, 2007
    Memphis,Tn
    I've seen Fender's made in America with too large a neck pocket to fit the neck it was shipped with. Seen made in Mexico jazz bass that sounded better than the MIA right next to it.

NEVER seen a Warmoth with a problem that wasn't induced by the end user.

3. Bway

Bway

Mar 24, 2008
    I have used many Warmoth products over the years and have always though the quality was excellent.

Good luck.

4. Alienation

Alienation

Jul 29, 2008
    Midsouth
    Warmoth stuff is very good, they've been around a long time.

I have an excellent fretless bass made from their parts and can personally vouch for the quality.

5. therex

therex

Jun 24, 2007
    lima
    and do you think their jbass neck will fit in my squier VM p bass?

6. Alienation

Alienation

Jul 29, 2008
    Midsouth
    That would be a question to ask Warmoth, I don't believe all their parts are interchangeable with off the shelf Fender/Squire basses. It wouldn't hurt to double check with them.

7. therex

therex

Jun 24, 2007
    lima
    ok thanks
    but hast anyone swaped necks?

8. superfunk47

superfunk47

Sep 9, 2007
    Assuming it's a standard Fender neck pocket, it'll fit no prob. What kind of Squier is it? Model, year, etc?

9. In my actual experiance, no, the neck is not going to fit correctly...

i am building a warmoth fretless jazz bass by upgrading a Squier VM J bass fretless piece by piece until it becomes a completly custom instrument.

the neck pocket is a little bit wider than the warmoth neck, and i had to stuff a shim in the bass side between the pocket and the neck.

i took a picture of the gap, and i will try to find it and upload it.

10. therex, please PM me your email address so that i can try to send you a full size picture of the neck pocket gap.

11. play4zero

play4zero

Dec 29, 2005
    Edorsing Artist: Eden
    I built a bass with a Warmoth body and neck and it is vastly superior to the Fender stuff.

IMG_0526.

It is the best sounding bass I have. It is clearer than my Lakland and plays wonderfully. The oly things I would change if I did it again is that I would have had them put in jumbo frets (which they advised me to do, but I didn't) and I would have got a neck with out the mother of toilet seat binding because it's hard to seewhere I'm at on the neck.

12. therex

therex

Jun 24, 2007
    lima
    its a squier Vintage Modified series precision bass, made in indonesia, in cort factory, year 2007

13. fish slapper

fish slapper

Nov 17, 2005
    Newberg, OR
    Watch out. There is no "standard Fender" Neck pocket! I believe that MIA, MIM, and Made in Asia are all different size neck pockets. Warmoth necks are made to fit MIA's. Of course, Warmoth necks fit Warmoth bodies perfectly.

14. superfunk47

superfunk47

Sep 9, 2007
    Don't go with it just based on what I say, but I'm pretty sure it'll be a close fit. Close enough to make it work, at least. My VM fretless J had a neck pocket pretty close to Fender spec, close enough that a Fender neck would work in it without shimming. YMMV.

15. Hoover

Hoover Banned

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City
    fwiw, the Warmoth I own has* a feel, fit, & finish as good as any Fender I've ever played. Actually, the feel is better in some ways, since I've got either an unfinished neck or else some extremely subtle satin-type finish that makes the back of the neck feel like raw wood. (I bought it used, so I really don't know what was done to it.)

However, there was one egregious shortcoming in the sound of my Warmoth: it's a 5-string, and the low B was the most lifeless, anemic, no-balls, wimpy POS I have ever heard on any 5-string bass anywhere. The other 4 strings sounded fabulous, fat, punchy & crisp with plenty of note definition, proper harmonic balance, and no dead spots. But that B string was an epic failure.

* I say "has" but since that bass has now been parted out into two different instruments I guess technically I should say "had". The body & electronics are now coupled with a custom Michael Dolan 8-string neck that sounds wonderful; I'm re-using the neck & bridge for a still-in-process fretless 5-string that's getting a custom WattFab body & will probably be strung EADGC (though I may try it as a BEADG once just to confirm whether the lame B string was an inherent problem in the neck, or just bad symbiosis between the original Warmoth body & neck).

16. Eilif

Eilif Holding it down in K-Town. Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    One thing to note about Warmoth necks. They are a bit chunkier than current Fender specs, and they only offer one contour. Some folks find them to be too large, and have them shaved down. Other folks like Valenti, stop using them entirely and switch to USACG. Other folks like me like them.

I've got a Warmoth P-bass neck that I am in the process of finishing up. It hasn't been permenantly installed yet, but I prefer a larger neck, so it feels very good in my hand.

As for sizes, IIRC, warmoth are a pretty standard replacement for MIM and MIA fenders. MIJ, MIC, and MIK Fenders may have slightly different measurements, but it shouldn't be anything you can't handle with a shim or a bit of sanding.

If you are mounting it on a non-USA made fender, or are at all unsure of the exact specs, you should definatley order the neck without the neck mounting holes drilled. Holes come standard, so you have to request this specifically.

17. kraigo

kraigo

Jun 21, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    An MIA Fender will have a higher resale value than a Warmoth. My experience with Warmoth has been excellent. I have no compunctions against ordering from them, they do excellent work. If I were to be buying right now I'd look to the MIA Fender. They're making great instruments right now and my investment in the instrument is safer.

Yes I do always look at the financial back end of an instrument, even if I throw caution to the wind. I've had too many "this is my last..." instruments to not know that there's a reasonable chance I'll change out later. I think my Noguera (10 years with me), Lakland (five years) and Tokai (three years) will be with me a long time, BTW.

KO

18. Therex,
    did you get the email i sent you with the picture of the gap?

19. Kitsapbass

Kitsapbass What key is this?

May 26, 2005
    Bremerton, WA
    I have a Franken P I put together...a Mighty Mite P body, with a Warmoth P neck I picked up off of here...fits like a glove, no dead spots...sounds like Godzilla destroying Tokyo, and everything cost under $100.

20. play4zero

play4zero

Dec 29, 2005
    Edorsing Artist: Eden
    The Warmoth neck does have a slightly different feel than a Fender, but it is so far superior tone wise to a Fender that it's not even a fair comparison. Every note, everywhere is fat and clean and round with few, if any distracting overtones.