1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Warwick Corvette Taranis or Lakland Darryl Jones

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by theleteri, Sep 10, 2008.

1. theleteri

theleteri

Aug 9, 2008
    as some of you know i have put a Lakland Skyline DJ4 on layaway. it has recently come to my attention that there is a flood of used Corvette Taranis by warwick in the local shops and they are going for around 800

i have not had a chance to plug them in but they feel nice. how do they sound compaired to the Lakland? are all warwicks made in the USA? what brand is better known for quality? is 800 a good amount for a used warwick?

thanx for your help.

(did i break and rules by telling a price :eyebrow: )

2. Spencer!

Spencer!

Jun 25, 2006
    Seattle
    Owner, Pike Amplification & 3Leaf Audio
    Warwicks are made in Germany.

3. You have got one messed up Warwick if it says Made in the USA

4. theleteri

theleteri

Aug 9, 2008
    come-on.... give me a break... i am not too familiar with the brand and just learned it was germany and noticed you two givin me crap...

aside from my f-up how about some help...

5. sorry, I though you meant you saw on the headstock it said Made in the USA

I personally prefer Lakland necks a lot better

6. dsDodgers

dsDodgers Banned

Sep 7, 2008
    sunny so cal
    is it the double humbucker one? $800 is an OK deal (i snagged one on my local CL for $695 cause the guy was a tweaker)
    lakland is better at quality control but both are solid instruments

id just suggest un plugging both and playing them, then choose which one feels better, then plug them in and choose again

7. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    They are very much apples and oranges. The decision will come down to your personal style. The Warwick will have the growlier, more aggressive tone out of the two. The Lakland, while aggressive in its own way, is more traditional in nature than a Warwick. I don't think either is a bad choice, it just comes down to which is better for you. Only you can answer that question.

8. Daywalker

Daywalker

Apr 13, 2005
    SOCAL
    ZING!

9. theleteri

theleteri

Aug 9, 2008
    is that a reference to Corner Gas, the canadian tv show?

10. Ampeg SVT

Ampeg SVT Son, I am disappoint.

those basses will sound much different.

I would take the Taranis but what kind of tone are you going for?

11. what's the difference btw the taranis h/j and the fna jazzman?

12. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    Typically, if there's a flood of used basses, that's not a good sign. YMMV. :atoz:

13. Thingus995

Thingus995

May 30, 2008
    The taranis has a different body wood and tuning then the jazzman as far as I'm aware

14. Gear

Gear

Jul 10, 2008
    I believe they are both ash, but the Taranis is passive and comes tuned BEAD, the Jazzman come with the preamp.

I have owned a corvette and a DJ, it's a tough choice... But I would go with the Taranis because of the pickup conf and two full octaves.

15. Sandu

Sandu

Oct 23, 2007
    Bucharest, Romania
    As said above, the Warwick will have a more modern tone, and the neck profile you either love or hate, so you gotta try it first.

However, there's something wrong about it. I clearly remember it being offered a while ago with a 35" scale, even the 4 string version. Now they say it's a 34". Either I don't remember correctly (I highly doubt that, at the time the Taranis was one of my options, the 35" being one of the highlights) or the newer ones are 34". In that case you might wanna find out which ones they're offering. Myself, I'd always go for a 35" over a 34", but that's just me. Again, it's a choice between modern and classic.

16. broadblik

broadblik

Aug 10, 2008
    Sheffield, UK
    Taranis' are tuned BEAD and have the large pole pieces on the neck PU rather than the small ones like on the Jazzman.

It is a 34" scale but it has a two stage bridge which gives it that extra tension.

17. GassieBall

GassieBall

Oct 15, 2006
    Are you planning to use the BEAD tuning of the Taranis? That would seem to be an important consideration?

18. theleteri

theleteri

Aug 9, 2008
    i would tune it normal... eadg

is that an option with the bass?

19. xikbastard

xikbastard

May 7, 2007
    Singapore
    i owned a Taranis 5 and honestly its a different beast. never tried Lakland b4 so no comments ;p and i tuned it 1 step down to A and use heavy gauges, even tho its a 34" compare to my other basses which is a 35" i have no issue with spaghetti string and what not, and i got it professionally set-up so its great.

i prefer the passive PU's and other folks ask me to add a pre-amp but i decided not too cos it works great right off the shelves. cos i've used a pretty truckload of effects and my other active basses got issues with them but the Taranis works flawlessly.

the neck profile is slightly thicker than other basses i tried but it works for me cos i got gigantic hands.

the tone on that bass is really growly, really harsh, but works well for me cos i play mostly death metal ;p. The Taranis is an acquired taste.

best way is to play both side by side and u can hear a very big different i think ;p. both got its own merits and flaws.

20. broadblik

broadblik

Aug 10, 2008
    Sheffield, UK
    If you're thinking of tuning the Taranis standard, you may want a new nut.