WARWICK ding fixing

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by bannedwit, Oct 4, 2005.

1. bannedwit

May 9, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    Okay, so my wonderful girlfriend just bought me a Warwick Thumb Bolt On 4 string off Ebay...
    (she's a keeper huh?)
    I got it and it has some dings on it. Now I am very into taking care of my stuff and those dings bothered me very much. There was basically one at the bottom / back of the neck (where your palm and stuff slides across) near the second fret. Looked like it neck dove into the corner of a table or something. and what looked like a pen stab on the body in the front above the neck. there was one more near the input jack...

So I went to Warwicks website and they mentioned how to get dings out.

So I took the soldering iron like they said and a wet sock and put the sock up to the ding and proceeded to "steam the dings out" by pressing the soldering iron to the sock over the dinged aread...
    Now all the marks are barely noticable or non existant.... I had to steel wool the neck ding but not it is basically even, cant feel it. The dings become only noticable when you point them out.

Very safe way to bring your natural wood basses back up to the first day you got them.
    All i can say is THIS WORKS!
  2. ahhh..

i remember once when i'd had a few too many and i threw a frozen steak onto the kitchen bench. massive ding , and i used an iron and wet towel to get it out...

umm.. anyway..

i might have to go try this on my spector.. i've given her a couple dings in the last couple of months, and it didn't occur to me to try that old trick.

cheers man, i'll let you know how it goes :)

3. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    I hope I'm not too late, but AFAIK this only works with oil finish. It will most probably not work with poly or nitro finishes, it could even make it worse!
  4. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Procedure works best with open grained woods (wenge, koa, etc) and oil finishes. I purchased a small hobby iron, normally used to shrink Mylar onto model aircraft wings, for the task. It has a variable thermostat so there's less of a chance to scorch the wood. Thanks for sharing the tip!

5. Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    Thanks for the tip i have a tiny dent on the body of my warwick thumb, ill try this soonish! when i can get hold of a soldering iron.