Warwick Fortress Flashback 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Soulbanana, May 7, 2004.

1. Soulbanana

May 7, 2004
    I was hoping if someone could give me some info on my bass.

It's a 96 model, pearloid pickguard, MEC Lipsticktube and twin tube at the bridge. Burgundy Wine finish, "Semi" hollow body, brass justanut, full Wenge neck.

I read an old add in Bass Player that ran the bass, but it had a 2TEK bridge and a 'resonant frequency switch' on the tone knob. Mine has neither. It has the standard 2 piece Warwick bridge.

I have not seen another bass like this, so I haven't managed to ask. I sent an email to the distributor here in Western Australia but they have not replied.

Thanks in advance.
  2. I have a Flashback 5 with the 2Tek bridge.

The switch you are asking about is just a coil tap, it cuts out half of the twin pickup.

Supposedly less than a thousand of the Flashbacks were made.

Oh this is a solidbody, not semi-hollowbody.
  3. Oh, the 2Tek was an option, the regular Warwick bridge was standard.

The coil tap switch was standard. Pull the knob out to activate the coil tap. It's the knob closest to the jack, the bottom knob as you look at my picture.
  4. Soulbanana

May 7, 2004
    Nope I ain't got no coil-tap. Pots are still original. What's your take on the bass?
  5. Hmmm, maybe the coil tap was an option, I dunno...

Anyhow, I like mine, and it gets a lot of comments when I pull it out. I like the fact that it's passive, no batteries to die. It's a little heavy, so I use a wide leather strap, no problem.

I'm not a big fan of pickguards, but the pearloid does look pretty good, if you're gonna have a pickguard.
  6. The Flashbacks are so cool. I would love to find one. Back in 1997, I had my chance, at a store that had like 20 Warwicks. I was infatuated with the Thumb bass at the time, but the Flashback was the best bass in the store, for half the price. Absolutely thunderous tone. I bought the Thumb anyway.. :(
  7. Soulbanana

May 7, 2004
    I like my Flashback a lot. Nice warm tone and tight Jaco-esque tones on the bridge. Biased towards the neck, it gives some killer Return of the Space Cowboy era bass-work.

The grounding's gone and the jack needs replacement though.

I'm thinking of putting an Aguilar onboard preamp in there with stacked tone and a bypass on the volume.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Their one of my favorite warwick models, i didint know they were semi hollow.
  9. Mine's solid-body....does Warwick even make any semi-hollow-bodies?
  10. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Yep. Infinity LTD.
    Even has f-holes

the Infinity SN and Dolphin SN are "chamebered-bodied", so they might classify as semi-hollow, too
  11. Soulbanana

May 7, 2004
    Must've been mistaken then...it's just got a very large cavity for electronics.

13. Soulbanana

May 7, 2004
    That IS very nice....would cost an arm and a leg over here though. I saw one going for AU$5,800.

Some basses you just buy and you know you can just keep.
  14. BassDmb18

Dec 28, 2002
    Davie, FL

16. Not hollowbody. This is identical to mine (except for the color and mine is a 5 string).
  17. I want to snag that bass so bad. There's just no way, though. ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGH!!!! :meh:
  18. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    I just stumbled on this. 2 hours left on the auction, and I just bought a bass last week I couldn't afford. That may be the coolest Warwick I've ever seen. Different, but without screaming "HEY! LOOK AT ME!"
  19. Wyman

Sep 5, 2004
    Nashua, NH
    Man I wish that bass was still in production! Not sure about those lipstick p-ups tho. Can't bash em cuz I've never tried em, but they look kinda sketchy lol. Awesome awesome awesome looking bass tho.
  20. Pickups have a pretty good tone... This is a passive bass.