Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warwick or Trace Elliot?? Please, help!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by goran, Dec 4, 2003.

1. goran

goran

Dec 17, 2002
    Croatia
    Endorsing Artist: Bartolini
    After long time waiting, I have finally came across 2 choices for my new rig.

1)Warwick Wamp head (don't know exact label), 300W, 6 band graphic, bass, paramid, treble, switches for low and high boost, built-in tuner... Lots of rear panel ins and outs
    1x15" 200W cabinet
    2x10" 200W cabinet with horn

Price: 620€ (approx. 710$)

Head and cabinets are older Warwick's models -> YELLOW labels (not blue ones).

2)Trace Elliot combo: 250W, 4x10" + horn, GP12SMX preamp (12-band eq, dual band compressor, lots of other features).

Price: 750€ (approx. 850$)

Problem is: I haven't had a chance to try them yet. Both are in other city and there is no chance for A/B comparison. I'll have to try one and remember how it sounds when I try another one.

Both are in very good condition. I'm leaning towards Warwick (lower price-leaves me money for some other things and I already have a compressor). Please don't tell me to wait for something else because I've been waiting for almost 2 months without amplifier and situation in used market is almost like "no situation" when it comes to quality bass equipment.

I would really liked opinions regarding quality and sound of Warwick Wamp.

And yes, if it matters, ;), I play on Fender Jazz Bass Deluxe (active electronics), currently playing funk-rock.

Thank you!

2. aladdin

aladdin

Mar 7, 2003
    Chiba, Japan
    I see no one else took this one up so...

I can just give my 2 cents. I have not played any of the older Warwicks, so I do not know how they sound. The newer W-CL sounds damn good in my opinion for a small combo.

That said, I have always been impressed by the sound from Trace Elliot rigs. Even their combos are nice. One of the best sounds coming from my MusicMan Stingray was through a 300HD and a 2x15 by Trace. I would like to own a Trace rig, but space and transportation are a problem in Japan. There is a lot of used Trace stuff going for big bucks around here.

In your case,the pros for the Trace Elliot are the great sound and excellent build quality. The con is that it is a combo and a heavy behemouth at that! There is one of those combos sitting in a music shop near my house right now, it is huge and heavy.

The Warwick is a stack, that is good, you could choose to take along just the 2x10 or just the 15 depending on the gig. The con is that I have not heard great things about reliability in the older products. I have no experience with them myself, so I cannot endorse or deny those accusations. They do come from musicians I trust. Most of the studios here run Trace stacks.

If the Warwicks are in good condition and have been checked by a tech, buy them. If they sound anything like the little CL I heard, you will not be dissapointed. Plus, it is modular! The Trace is one big box! However, you should try representations from both amp companies... way different sounds. I would rather have a Trace Elliot, but not a 4x10. Give me a 1x15 with a tweeter... or a 2x15.... yeah... and I need a bigger house...

My few cents. From Japan (the home of tiny cars and houses) with love...

-Aladdin

3. goran

goran

Dec 17, 2002
    Croatia
    Thank you for your response, Aladdin. I have problem with transport too. All our equipment must fit in band's station wagon.T here isn't much room in it for big boxes. We (bassists) are really cursed :bawl: when transport comes in mind, although I wouldn't want to be drummer (I just don't like idea of hauling zillion pieces of equipment to every gig). :D

I would really like to hear opinions of older Warwick amps (those with yellow labels). Those of you who have played on any Warwick amp, please post your comment about it. Tomorrow is D-day for me, so please help your fellow TB-er.;)

4. Hello,
    I have owned both Warwick and Trace bass heads,
    my opinion is that the Warwick will give you
    a more hifi sound and the Trace a punchier,
    more pop sound.
    Bob

5. Chris_AtariDoll

Chris_AtariDoll

Dec 8, 2001
    UK
    Well have the new warwick 2x10 and 1x15, and they do sound very hi-fi, I've been using a pro-fet IV head with them, but i'am just waiting for my ashdown pre / power amp setup.

I've have played thru my friends 2x10 + 1x15 trace rig, and i have to say the warwick is cleaner, the trace is a little more rock.

6. goran

goran

Dec 17, 2002
    Croatia
    I bought Trace!

It turned out that Warwick couldn't compare with Trace! Either head was seriously underpowered or Warwick has most innefficient cabs I have ever seen (heard). Trace Elliot with preamp matched to my bass and master set at 2 was way louder than Warwick with master on 7. (with sound breaking up - I don't know if that were speakers or amp clipping, but it didn't sound good!). I wasn't particulary impressed with Warwick's sound either. It just didn't seem worth money it was selling for.

On the other hand Trace Elliot has loudest 250 watts I have ever heard. When I brought it home, I disconnected internal speakers and connected power section to my Peavey BX115BW cabinet (1x15", no horn). With master between 2 and 3 it was shaking walls and things were literally fallling off the shelves. This is one thing I could never do with my old Bassman 100 head (100 watts, tube amp). With it's internal speakers it lacks some low end (hey it's tens we're talking about), but it can be easily compensated with graphic eq or preshape 2. For the first time I can hear every note I play. This is trully one proffesional bass amplifier. It does colour the sound, and it colours it much, but I don't care. I don't have money for Glockenklang, G-K, Ebs or any other hi-end stuff. I'm very happy with my purchase!!!

P.S. I'm still messing with amp's settings. I would really appreciate help with sample settings. I play on Fender Jazz Deluxe. Thank you!