1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

WARWICK PRO-SERIES FRETLESS: Active or Passive electronics?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ArturoOsito, Aug 21, 2012.

1. ArturoOsito

ArturoOsito

Aug 21, 2012
    Of course, there is no "right" answer. This is a discussion: bring your anecdotes, musings, science, conjecture, and experience, and discuss. I'm in the market for either a Warwick Streamer LX Pro active or a Corvette STD Pro passive, fretless. Looking for genre flexibility, but definitely groove oriented: reggae, funk, modern electronic dance, etc. Be able to rock as well. What kinds of experiences has the community had with FRETLESS basses using passive and active electronics? Pros? Cons? Bring it allllll to the table, my bass-headed brethren. :bassist:

2. I don't own a Warwick, but I'm going to soon. I found this thread via google search, I'm going to bump it, and hope that someone who's had their hands on a pro series will see this and chime in.

3. mc_muench

mc_muench

Sep 28, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    My personal preference is passive, my amp and pedals do the EQing.

4. Means2nEnd

Means2nEnd Supporting Member

As a proud owner of many Warwicks the Streamer body shape is so much better to me. The contoured body on the front and back make it one of the most comfortable body shapes ever made. Now to prevent the Spector attack this original body shape that the Streamer is so closely (stolen/paid for) from Ned and Stuart is my favorite ever designed. Credit needs to go to where credit is due without starting the Spector/Warwick thing. I own a few Corvette Warwicks and although well balanced the feel and looks of the Streamer kills it in my opinion.

Now as far as active passive that depends on what you like. Personally I have kept MEC pickups and preamps in several of my Warwicks and also switched out pickups and preamps in others. My personal opinion MEC’s passive pickups are sort of flat and stale to me compared to other passive pickups and preamps out there. I do love the active pickups from MEC. I own a fretless Thumb NT 5 string 94 that has stock 18 volt MEC pickups and preamp and it smokes. There is a push pull on the master volume that gives the ability to defeat the preamp and allow the active pure tone of the pickups. It is warm and organic unlike what most here would describe a Warwick would sound like with stock MEC electronics package. But that said most negative feedback on Warwicks here that I have read is from members who mention trying one in a Guitar Center or playing a friends or owning one for a brief moment and then moving it.

The LX Pro has a cherry body and the Corvette bubinga. If I was going for the Corvette I would go active because I would like the idea of the active package giving me the ability to add some booty and glass I find bubinga body wood basses tight and focused but very mid focused. The cherry I’m not familiar with so passive might suit it better I don’t know. But I would probably still go active as that’s my personal preference from Warwick I mean why not get the best I can get from them from the beginning as I can always change anything out later if I think it needs it. Hope that helps a little.

5. matante

matante

Nov 3, 2003
    Los Angeles
    I don't have experience with these basses either but i'm pretty sure that the active models have a bypass option so you get the best of both worlds. You simply pull on the volume knob and it bypasses the active preamp.

Most people prefer to record in passive mode and use active mode when playing live. This will buffer your signal so you can run longer lengths of cable without losing highs in your tone.

6. Why not both?

7. Means2nEnd

Another note worth mentioning if you are strictly talking in terms of the new Korean Pro series basses the Streamer doesn’t offer a choice. They come with active preamps and active pickups so your choice is set there unless you willing to go aftermarket packages for pickups and preamps.

The bubinga Corvette gives the option of either or passive or active package. It also gives the option of going either way with the pickups and preamp. You can have active pickups and passive preamp or vice versa. I would always have the active preamp whatever way you choose with the pickup options.

The ash version give choice of active or passive pickups and only active preamp.

8. There is no such thing as a passive preamp. The two terms are contradictory.

9. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    Most people? I doubt it. I record direct, so active is the way to go.

10. Means2nEnd

Volume knob passive, balance knob passive, bass and treble EQ pots passive there is no preamp I should have said passive system. Thanks for you input and help.:)

11. mp40smg

mp40smg

Aug 11, 2010
    Worcester, Ma.
    I don;t have a WW.. so this is not specific.
    But in active vs passive fretless. To me.. passive tends to be old school thump and quack.
    Active is the modern/ clarity with mwaaah..

12. matante

matante

Nov 3, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Can you elaborate a little? Why is active the "way to go" when recording direct? Do you mean DI into a mixing board or plugged in directly to a computer?

I've always figured that if my signal is going into a preamp I'd rather have it be a $900 studio rackmount unit than a $200 unit the size of a Jolly Rancher.

I also remember the days when all the active basses were only active and didn't have the bypass option. I thought the bypass option came about because a lot of pros stated their preference for recording with passive basses and performing live with active ones.