1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Warwick Streamer LX pro version - The right bass for me?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Pofl, Aug 22, 2012.

1. Pofl

Pofl

Aug 22, 2012
    Hey,

im playing bass for about 3 years now, and now I decided to buy a new bass. (Still playing on the no-name-bass I bought at the beginning.

Well, after hours of reading in the internet and listening to youtube videos, there were 3 basses left, I were interessted in.
    Warwick Thumb, Streamer II, and Streamer LX

The Thumb seems to be very neck heavy, and you are limitted in doing every music, because it has a very special growly sound.

The Streamer II, would be perfect but I can´t afford it at the moment its simply to expensive. :meh:

So I arrived at the decision, that the Streamer LX is the bass that matches best to me.

Well, now my questions:

1)As far as I know, all this basses sound very growly and aggressiv, first of all the thumb, then the streamer II and last the LX. Is that right? Does the LX sound growly too compared to non-warwick-basses? In the band we play metal, so the LX should fit, shouldn´t it?
    2)Im already looking for a cheap used streamer lx on ebay and found out, that there is the normal version, built in Germany, and the pro verion built in Korea.
    Is there a big different between them? Because the pro version is quiet cheaper.

Im glad to hear your contribution! :hyper:

2. FAtiger14

FAtiger14

Aug 22, 2012
    Pofl, Have you ever considered the Corvette line? The first 'Real" bass i ever bought was a Corvette Pro-line 5 String. I playe din a cover band for 4 years and was able to get EVERY different kind of sound of it. It was also very easy to ply from slapping to finger style.

just a thought!

3. Pofl

Pofl

Aug 22, 2012
    Hey FAtiger14,

i also thought about getting a corvette $$, but after searching in the internet, I pointed out that the corvette isn´t as growly as the other 3 basses i mentioned top.
    Ok its still a warwick so i HAS to be growly ;)
    What kind of music do you play? And do you know if there is a big different between the corvette $$ and the corvette ash or corvette bubinga?
    Or do you think the additional charge for a "non-pro-line" is a waste of money?

4. FAtiger14

FAtiger14

Aug 22, 2012
    I actually also have a Corvette $$ Bubinga NT! it was worth every dollar and is such a versitale instrument. you can literally get ANY kind of sound thanks to the two Sting-Ray style humbuckers and the switching the electronics allows you to do between them. The Wenge neck and fretboard make it very easy to play.

I play alot of 311, DMB, RHCP, but if you play mettal, punk, or straight up rock with a pick you can definately get the osund you are looking for with this bass.

Hope this helps!

5. Guys just be careful with the naming. The Proline was a name used for up spec Corvette basses with flame maple bodies a few years back. The Pro Series is a complete range of Warwick models made in Korea. Just don't wanna see any confusion between the two!

I have a German Lx 5 and love it. The Pro Series version is also a fine bass, and very good value.

6. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I have 2 LX5s, one fretted and one fretless, and they are both growly with the stock MEC pickups and preamps. A bit on the heavy side, and the fretted one needs a fret job.

7. Alex1984

Alex1984

Jan 16, 2010
    Vancouver
    I liked the Streamer Stage I with reverse PJ pups and I really dug the tone. I got a Thumb afterwards, and the Thumb definitely has a similar growl and powerful EQ, but I think the PJ has a bit more versatility. I looked at the Streamer LX model for a while, and the Pro should be very good.

I recently got a Spector Euro 4 LX, although it's a very different beast, but I like its playability more than Warwicks and it could suit you very well.

8. Pofl

Pofl

Aug 22, 2012
    So to sum up, the lx pro series version is also a great bass but the german version is still a bit better than the korean version?
    What are the main differences between the lx pro series and a corvette $$ bubinga NT?
    Both seem to be a bass that matches me interessts.

9. RFord04

RFord04 Supporting Member

Apr 8, 2009
    Flint, Michigan
    Just my two cents, but if you're looking for the Warwick signature growl, you don't want to go with a $$. It's a very versatile bass, to be sure, but I felt that it did a better job at approximating other tones than it did at giving that Warwick tone that I was after as well. Great bass, but it just doesn't do the growl thing as well as any other Warwick I've heard. I used to own one, but I sold it some time ago.

I also currently own a Corvette Standard Active, and that bass definitely delivers the growl, but it's also fairly versatile if you use the tone controls properly.

If I were playing metal, I'd definitely spring for a Corvette Standard, Thumb, or the Streamer LX. YMMV.

10. anezthes

anezthes

Oct 18, 2010
    • Bubinga body
    • Maple neck with Ekanga veneer stripes
    • Wenge fingerboard
    Source: http://warwick.de/modules/produkte/produkt.php?katID=22017&cl=EN

I'd definitely go for the German version. IMO the general quality of German made Warwicks are quite high. Haven't heard that much good stuff about the Korean made ones.

Also, go for the Streamer. Balances much better than the Corvette IMO. Although, mine's not the bubinga version, that one might balance better.

11. sammyp

sammyp

Aug 20, 2010
    NB, Canada
    all i can say about warwick growl is that the more i play my corvette and compare it to other basses i own ...an american jazz and a p bass copy, the more i feel the growl sets the warwick in the mix better than anything else i play ....so...OP ...don't be afraid of extra growl!

also ...one could make a $$ growl as little or a much as one wanted depending on how you run the pups ...

12. sammyp

sammyp

Aug 20, 2010
    NB, Canada

jealous ....i want one!

13. j.kernodle

j.kernodle Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2008
    South Carolina
    depending on your price range don't rule out a used Spector euro. I haven't played a pro-line Warwick yet, but stuff coming out of Korea has been pretty solid lately. i asked guitar center if they'd be getting any in and they said "not really sure". a used LX german lx streamer, or euro Spector in the 800 buck range will hold it's value.

14. RFord04

RFord04 Supporting Member

Apr 8, 2009
    Flint, Michigan
    Not in my experience. I've heard more growl from a Jazz bass than I was getting from my $$. Might have had something to do with it being swamp ash... but it didn't do the Warwick growl, regardless of pickup settings and eq.