1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Warwick Thumb Bleached Blonde

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Krinkle5, Apr 8, 2006.

1. Krinkle5

Krinkle5

Feb 16, 2006
    Has anyone played this bass? How does it feel and sound? I have been looking for a thumb and I encountered a bleached blonde any comments? thanks

2. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    i really thought i would like one, i liked the looks so much. Its just not a thumb. Its a totally different bass, and to be honest i didnt like it. I have a normal thumb bolt-on, and compared to that it just didnt sound as good IMO.

3. Daywalker

Daywalker

Apr 13, 2005
    SOCAL
    I agree, it sounds nothing like a traditional Thumb bass, but it does sound really good. They usually go for $2K, but musician's friend is blowing them out fot $1500. Not bad...

4. JBass1

JBass1

Dec 6, 2005
    NYC
    honestly....treat it as it had a completely different name...its just not a thumb, but still a great bass. I was bent on getting it when i first saw it and then i got to play it but then i got my thumb NT instead

by the way to anyone that may care to help....

what would you be willing to pay or trade for a mint conditioned thumb NT 4 made in 2001? just wondering to see what value ive got on my hands....(i kno i kno wrong place but i cant start threads so sorry)

5. instigata

instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    i like the dirty blondes more. those poplar tops. freakin sweet.

[​IMG]

cool pup combo too. itd prolly sound a bit like p+mm, but maybe a little "tamer"

6. JBass1

JBass1

Dec 6, 2005
    NYC
    ^^^ that isnt the same bass thats the thumb LTD 2006 or something

7. instigata

instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    i know. its like this years version of that one. i just wanted to say how sweet it looks.

8. I love mine.

While its not the traditional thumb sound, mine does sound like a Warwick. I doubt you'd mistake it for something else.

When I had improved my skill enough to know what I liked about a bass, I scoured for a year trying to find something that combined what I liked.

The Bleach Blonde, IMO, is a cross between a thumb and the ash bodied corvettes. It takes the warmth of the pro-series corvettes and tightens up the notes and adds clarity. Depending on how you look, you either lose a little warmth, or you lose a little compression. I don't look at it that way though. To me, you find a happy medium. I personally think you get some truly amazing ringing highs with a maple board and those brass frets. I personally havn't found a G string yet that I think sounds sweeter than the Blonde's.

It plays like a bolt on thumb. Its very much lighter, since its ash and maple. The rest is like a regular bolt on. The Adjust a nut 2 and the bridge is just amazing, I've never had so much ability to tweak my setup. Expect the neck to be the thick neck that thumbs are famous for, and that I personally love. The reason why the 2003's are cheaper is because they use the usual Bolt-on electronics that Warwick has ditched for the 2006. The construction is top notch. The flame maple top is actually 2/3's of the top, its not just a thin cap like the 2005 Hot Rod Corvette. The fingerboard has amazing flame to it, and feels wonderful. The neck isn't glossed, so your hand moves fast and sleek around it. The body is not oiled, it is satin finished, so that's either a plus or a minus depending on who you are. Just remember the US swamp ash is a VERY soft wood. Jean buttons, and especially belt buckles are the bane of many bass, and this is no exception.

IMG_2065.