1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Warwick Thumb, Lakland Skyline or MM Stingray

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mogalen, Mar 16, 2013.

1. Mogalen

Mogalen

Mar 5, 2013
    Can't decide at all between these... My dream of owning a german made Warwick Thumb is still there, but the one I'm talking about here is made in Korea I believe. Still, it looks and plays amazing.

I've also been looking at the Lakland Skyline 44-02 Deluxe, and I've heard good stuff about it. Don't really know anything more.

And then there was one. Music Man Stingray. Everyone seems to love this bass more than anything. I've never tested one, and I won't really have the chance to.

Which of these is in your opinion the superior? Reasons why it is is also appreciated.

http://www.thomann.de/se/warwick_ps_thumb_bo4_black_hg.htm
    http://www.thomann.de/se/music_man_stingray_4_3bd_mn_hb.htm
    http://basstore.se/Basstore/Lakland.html

2. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Out of those three? The Stingray is the clear winner, and it should be since it costs 3 times as much.

The Thumb body style is something that is an aquired taste. It's too small for me, but I'm a big guy.

The Lakland is my favorite of the three, but only after a pickup and preamp upgrade.

Stingray is made in the USA, needs no upgrades, and quality is on a totally different level than the other two. As-is, it's a no brainer.

3. Definitely the Thumb. Can't beat the sound and ergonomics. Why not buy a used German though?

4. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    44-02 stock or 44-01 with upgraded electronics / pickups. Of the 3 listed, the Lakland (if below 9.5 lbs) is the most comfortable to play with the MM a close second IMO.

Riis

5. Fenwick

Fenwick

Dec 9, 2012
    Montreal
    Somebody is stealing your money! Stringrays arent as expensive as you think or Lakland/Warwick's overseas models are more expensive than you think. A new MM Sting is not even 2x as much as the other brands mentioned.

To the OP, since you've go it narrowed down to 3 basses, I'd advise going out and trying as many of them as possible.

Both the Thumb and Stringray have very distinctive sounds, looks and feels. Lakla...who?? ;)

6. I've owned a German Thumb, a USA Stingray, and now I want a Lakland. I've not played a Lakie yet, but the other two are each their own beast, just different types of great. The sounds are unique, the looks are unique, the feel is unique. The Thumb is kind of in its own world in terms of craftsmanship and quality, but the Stingray was absolutely great too - both of them are about 3000000% better than anything you'll ever get from Fender, for example.

My personal solution - get one of each! ;) If that doesn't work for you, start with the least expensive and then over time trade your way up into the others. I lusted after Thumbs for over two decades before finally getting one. Patience is a virtue.

7. kweej

kweej

Nov 30, 2012
    Thumb!!

8. Stingray. Every single time.

9. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    to me the Lakland is the most versatile of the 3.....you can get a decent MM vibe out of it so it is like 2 basses in one.....

10. keithbroussard

keithbroussard Supporting Member

I have owned 4 stingrays and 6 warwicks in the past (along with countless fenders plus other brands) and I am now a Lakland convert (I own 3 currently) so they get my vote and recommendation. These are easily the best playing and sounding basses I have ever owned hands down...just my .02