1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Warwick V/V/T/T wiring confusion

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by superheavyfunk, Mar 26, 2017.

1. superheavyfunk

superheavyfunk 音楽は人生だ

Mar 11, 2013
    Toronto
    My passive p/j style Warwick is wired VVTT. I've included a couple gut shots for your perusal.

I recently bought a new P style pup to try out. It has two wires - a black and a white one. As you can see in the gut shot, the lead coming from the existing stock P pup is a single white wire, soldered to the blend pot at what is seemingly a single solder point for both the P and J pickups.

I clearly have no idea what I'm doing here but I'm not going to let that stop me. Could somebody give me an idea of what I need to do to get this thing wired up? I do have soldering experience, I'm just confused as crap right now. Thanks IMG_20170326_214729.jpg IMG_20170326_214905.jpg

2. The black wire goes to the back of the pot, or any ground point. The white wire goes to where the old pickup connected on the blend pot. That's all there is to it.

superheavyfunk likes this.
  3. superheavyfunk

superheavyfunk 音楽は人生だ

Mar 11, 2013
    Toronto
    Well that was easy. Lol
    Thanks a bunch!

In case you (or anybody else) might be curious, the pickup I'm mounting is a Nordstrand Np4a.

4. superheavyfunk

superheavyfunk 音楽は人生だ

Mar 11, 2013
    Toronto
    Welp. That didn't work. Here's a pic of where I'm at. The pickup makes no sound. When I blend back toward the bridge pup, I get sound but the P pup isn't working. I guess I'll try reversing then wires to see what happens. Any advice?

Attached Files:

5. You shouldn't cut the old pickup wire short. If you ever want to re-use or sell that pickup, the wire is going to be too short to work with. As a general rule of thumb, never cut pickup wires unless you have to, and then only cut away as little as possible.

In any case, you probably have a short between the shield braid and the center conductor. Remove the coaxial cable entirely, and solder the new wire directly to the pot's input.

6. superheavyfunk

superheavyfunk 音楽は人生だ

Mar 11, 2013
    Toronto
    ...and now I've soldered the original pickup back in and am still getting no signal. This is the pits. :(

7. superheavyfunk

superheavyfunk 音楽は人生だ

Mar 11, 2013
    Toronto
    Darn. Okay then... Lesson learned. Let's try this again.

8. Crater

Crater

Oct 12, 2011
    Dallas, TX area
    It's not a single conductor, that is a shielded wire. The center conductor is the "hot" wire, the braided wires are the shield and ground. It may look like a single wire, but it's two conductors. If you allow the two conductors to touch, it short circuits your pickup and you get no sound.

9. superheavyfunk

superheavyfunk 音楽は人生だ

Mar 11, 2013
    Toronto
    Yep. That's exactly what happened. In the end, I soldered the new white wire directly to the pcb attached to the blend pot and everything works perfectly now.

Next, I need to find a humbucking jazz bridge pup and my bass mods will finally be complete!

10. superheavyfunk

superheavyfunk 音楽は人生だ

Mar 11, 2013
    Toronto
    BTW, I know of a lot of ppl have a hate on for the VVTT style of wiring - many complain that the tone knobs don't work correctly but I must say that however Warwick has this bad boy wired up, it sounds great and works well. The tone knobs don't seem to be in parallel and one doesn't rob the other of treble. *shrug*

I can't explain it but it works...

11. Apparently you don't actually have VVTT wiring on this bass. You have a volume and a blend, plus two tones. If the blend pot is A/C taper, then that provides the necessary isolation to allow the tone controls to work independently of each other.

12. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    I'm not surprised.

You say the bass is wired VVTT but then you go on to say there is a blend pot. Which is it? (No need to answer that, I already know the answer just from looking at your first photo).

line6man likes this.
  13. superheavyfunk

superheavyfunk 音楽は人生だ

Mar 11, 2013
    Toronto
    Yeah, that was some kind of brainfart there. It is indeed Master Vol/Blend/Tone/Tone. What does A/C taper mean and how does it differ from linear and audio taper pots? Is that why there's a PCB on the pot?

14. bilzard

bilzard

Mar 27, 2017
    Blend pots are essentially 2 pots stacked on top of each other. One will have an A taper (normal log) and one will have a C taper (reverse log). The PCB is most likely there to make it easier to assemble.

Edit: wrote linear instead of log

Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
  15. superheavyfunk

superheavyfunk 音楽は人生だ

Mar 11, 2013
    Toronto
    Thanks, and Welcome to TalkBass!! :D

16. You mean audio and reverse audio. Reverse linear is exactly the same as linear, by definition of linearity.

With the A/C taper, you literally have two normal audio taper pots (one reverse tapered) stacked together, so any time you are away from the center detent, it is like having a dual volume scheme with both volumes turned down. It's not a very good way to have a blend pot, because you are always attenuating the output, but the advantage for this particular scheme is that you always have the necessary resistance between the two pickups that allows each tone control to only cut treble for its respective pickup. If you had VVTT wiring, each tone control would be a master tone control whenever its respective volume pot were turned all the way up.

17. bilzard

bilzard

Mar 27, 2017
    Yes sorry, I meant logarithmic (audio) don't know why I typed linear

18. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    Blame that on a computer /cellphone virus. ;) (You'd have had to read the relevant thread to get it, sorry).

19. somebrains

somebrains

Feb 7, 2017
    I'm about to replace a dead dipswitch in my $$.
    Grab that diagram and give your setup a whirl.

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 14, 2021