Washburn Taurus Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dave120, Jul 30, 2005.

1. dave120

Jun 27, 2005
    Central Florida
    Who all out there has tried one of these basses? I've had my T24 for about 4 months now so here's my take on it. I figure with all the Sadowsky/Fender battles going on this is a nice break :)

Mahogany body w/neck through, 2 jazz pickups, 2 vol/2 tone controls, weighs about 9 lbs. Grover bass tuners.

At first I didn't like this bass very much, mainly because of the lack of color choices and the funky body shape. Of course when I played it my perceptions changed a lot and I ended up buying it after trying out a lot of basses that cost 2 and 3 times as much. To this day I still haven't found a bass as nice as this one no matter how much it costs. I would say I just got lucky and found a gem, but my local shop got another one in after I bought this one from them and it's just as good with slightly different wood grains/colorings. Makes me almost want to buy another one :D

Mine was built in Vietnam. I'm not sure how many other places they build this particular model. I'm pretty sure the cheap models are built in China that have the bolt on necks. Mine is a neck through that came out first in this line before they replaced their cheap line with this same style.

Basically the only color you could (and still can) get it in is a natural finish on the neck through models, which of course means there will be a broad range of ways these can look because each piece of wood is different. Fit and finish, and playability is why I'm really writing this though.

The action on this bass is REALLY low out of the box and it's just extremely easy to play. The neck isn't as slim as the Fender-type Jazz basses, but it's really comfortable and smooth. Right now this is the only bass I actually rehearse with in my band. I play my others occasionally when I need a different tone but for most of the stuff we play this bass IS the tone I need. I'm one that would usually change stock pickups out but I'm not going to touch this one. The stock pickups are pretty high output and sound great in Dropped D for rock music.

I bought this bass right after the price dropped from $439 to $319 (dealer price, not retail). That sold me on it once it got even cheaper. I've played tons of other basses and none of them seem to feel as good to me as this one. I'm not sure exactly what it is, because it's not just the low action. It could be that it's 24 frets and the neck sticks out a little farther than most basses and makes it easier to play standing up.

Are there any other basses in this price range that feel a lot like these? I'm looking for a secondary bass that I can use for oddball tunings but want a similar tone/feel to this one without buying 2 of the same bass, which I guess isn't that unusual. I've never found another neckthrough bass for this low of a price either.

I'd like to hear from some others who have/have played these things because I don't see ANYBODY playing them and very little talk goes on on these boards about Washburn basses.
  2. Glad to see another lover of the Taurus series!!! I've never seen much of anyone on here give praise to this bass, but hell, I love it!

Similar basses, well The Washburn FORCE 4 would most likey work, but it's around the $500 range I believe. Also, I think Aria makes a very very similar bass, with the exact same woods, if I'm not mistaken.

I plan on picking up a Taurus 4 in the near future. I was going to invets into a Warwick, but due to a recent car incident, I am going to be strapped for cash for a while, and out of transportation too. I just don't think that it's right to go out and buy a bass that almost costs as much as my repairs will!

3. yeah, i played the taurus a few times in a guitar store...nice, solid bass. i remember it really nailing the "mudshovel" by staind tone
  4. dave120

Jun 27, 2005
    Central Florida
    Yes I've read through those threads already, and was more posting for my comments on it than asking about it, anyways.

Seems that QC used to be a problem for Washburn, but every one I've had my hands on lately has been top notch in my local shop that carries more Washburns than anything. That's for guitars and basses, as my brother has a Washburn guitar and hates almost anything else because they don't play as well.
  5. Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    I've only played one, and it was a decent bass. The only thing that I didn't like was how close the strings were to the fingerboard edge; not because they would slip off, but it just didn't feel right.