Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wayne Dyer

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Jun 16, 2005.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Many moons ago I bought Your Erroneous Zones. Don't remember if I even read it, but if I did whatever it said didn't apply to me at the time. After that I always just considered his stuff cheezy self help. Last October I saw a bit of one of his talks on TV and it inpired me to buy another one of his books, Your Sacred Self. I've since read There is a Spiritual Solution to Every Problem, and I just started reading You'll see it When You Believe it.

I am becoming a huge fan of his writings because he takes everything I've ever believed in, adds a great deal to it, and offers concrete practical suggestions on living and growing in this world as a spiritual being. I feel like this stuff is having more of a positive influence on me than the pletheora of books I read before. My favotite authors up till now (in this genre) have been Maryanne Williamson, Hugh Prather, Neal Walshe, Shakti Gawain, Don Carlos, etc.

Anyhoo... anyone read any of his books and apply the principles to their lives? It's been working for me, bigtime - yet it's interesting because I don't talk much about it with anyone aside from close friends on a similar path. The general population thinks people who think along these lines should be institutionalized. People have always thought that about me anyhow, gives me lots of leeway in what's expected of me :)

If you have negative stuff to say, please start another thread - I'd really like for this to be a positive thread for those interested. If it gets stupid I'm going to delete it cuz I don't want to argue or defend anything here. Just want to share thoughts on Wayne Dyer and the principles he writes about. Thanks.

Your thoughts.......

2. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    I guess I'm even more alone than I thought on this one. :)

Oh hhwelllll.

3. Flanders

Flanders

Oct 30, 2002
    Reno, NV
    Come on. Everybody knows that self help doesn't work. You need a quack doctor and lots of prescriptions. Pills are the answer to all your problems!;)

4. MicceO

MicceO

Aug 12, 2004
    Yep, I've read some of his books years ago, so I don't even remember the names of the books. But the fact that I've read more than one of his books already says perhaps that there is something to them, at least to me.

I know that many people think that these kinds of books are crap, and that's okay too. It's very difficult, if not impossible, to apply those principles concistently, and I don't even try to. But what I think is important, is that you may get positive ideas by reading those books, and that's enough. I think that a book is worth reading if you get even one new idea from it.

So, especially in situations where you are tired, stressed ore somehow lost, they may be helpful. I once read a book (don't remeber the name or the author) on sports trainig, especially mental training, and I think all of the principles can be applied to any work and working life. So, I've found these kinds of books most useful. :)

5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Never heard of him.

6. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan

Your negativity is not welcome here, mister!

7. simpy1

simpy1

Mar 31, 2005
    New Zealand
    If anyone wonders how censorship gets out of hand.....this is how it starts. "Don't say anything negative". Then it's "Don't say anything relating to _______". Then it is "Don't say anything mildly offensive to anyone, or anything that could be considered to have a possibility of one day almost becoming offensive to one person".

8. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    He was joking.

9. Not making light of the subject at all, but this sentence immediately recalled to my mind the line from the old Helen Reddy tune:

"It's so nice to be insane, no one asks you to explain"

And no, you aren't alone...but it might be that "self" reflection doesn't mix well with the "forum" setting.

10. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    My grandma takes his word as law. He is the alpha and omega to her universe. She gave me some 6 disc Self Help thing that I think was by him, but I haven't listened to it yet.

11. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    I believe I wrote, "If you have negative stuff to say, please start another thread." I don't think censorship starts that way.