1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ways That Bass Is Harder Than Guitar

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Vinnyboonbots, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Vinnyboonbots

Vinnyboonbots Banned

May 25, 2012
    Sorry =duplicate. No delete?

2. Borzi_4

Borzi_4

Apr 3, 2012
    LA
    I think even though a guitar player could play bass theoretically, bass is not just an instrument its a voice. Learning what that voice sounds like takes time practicing and working with other people, learning to read other musicians and use that to the benefit of the sound, thats what makes a bassist. Theres plenty of people who just "play bass"

3. T-MOST

T-MOST Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2004
    NJ via NYC
    A bass player could just as easily be a half assed guitarist simply by learning a dozen chords. I know because I am a very half assed guitarist! LOL

4. dbd1963

dbd1963

May 18, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Yes on half assed guitarist. Though I do better on creating lead lines than most half assed guitarists I know, and that comes from the skills you learn on the bass.

I would say that runs up and down the fretboard are easier with those dinky little strings. A butterfly could hold them down.

5. wyattharris

wyattharris

Mar 23, 2011
    At a basic level, it's not. If i had to teach a total beginner how to play a punk song for a gig tomorrow, i'd teach him the bass part because playing chords does require a certain kind of coordination and musculature. However, once you get past that basic level, i'd say bass is harder. Take any technical run or lick on guitar and transpose it to bass; it'll be 10x harder to execute because of the wider spacing and also because we have fewer strings, so you have to shift positions a lot more than on guitar. Now, i will concede that the straight fourths tuning does give you less to think about when your playing technical parts, but this can be negated if you tune the guitar in fourths.