Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Weak "G" String

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Blue, Sep 6, 2004.

1. Blue

Blue Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2004
    Central NC
    While I"m sure there are a few jokes in that title ... :rolleyes: ... the little string on my new-to-me NS CR4M "puts-out" ... :rolleyes: ... noticeably less volume, all the way up the neck. It is most apparent in the piezo mode, but also noticeably in the mag' p'up mode .. so I'm thinking it must be an amp-response thing. The other strings are a a lot fuller, and a bit boomy if I run the bass knobs up too high.

I have a few good - old school e-bass guit' amps units, like an AMP, but they're not here right now, so I'm currently using a Fender Princeton through an EA VL208.

This is all loud'ish living room pizzicato until I get enough courage to play it in more public places ... but in the meantime:

It could be a symptom of old strings (I bought it used), or something else, but do ya think the Princeton amp can be the cause of ALL the tonal inconsistencies, or should I look elsewhere?

I just remembered there is an L2 (LAB Series) head in the garage - that should be tried before posting this, I guess, but it's too late now!

2. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    I'm not that familiar with your bass, but I had some problems kinda similar and I fixed them by adjusting the p-up height. Dunno if this is exactly what you're talking about though.

3. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    [QUOTE='S CLUES]
    It could be a symptom of old strings (I bought it used), or something else, but do ya think the Princeton amp can be the cause of ALL the tonal inconsistencies, or should I look elsewhere?

[/QUOTE]

In most cases such as this, I've found it's best to trace back as far up the signal chain as possible. In this case, all roads lead back to the setup of your bass, your strings, and your pizz technique. The first thing I would try would be a height adjustment of your strings. Even on a fudgesicle, I've found that in general, higher action = more volume, while lower action = more growl and sustain. So the first thing to try would be to raise the action to get the G string a bit higher off the fingerboard. If your EUB allows individual height adjustment for each string, so much the better, then just crank the G up a bit. Good luck.

4. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Princeton? That's a guitar amp, idnit?

The knob that would more correspond the the G string on many amps is the midrange knob. The bottom getting boomer on lower strings with the bass knob cranked makes sense in the same way.

I'd play it through a proper bass amp or (or even a PA) before I started futzing with the instrument.

5. Blue

Blue Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2004
    Central NC
    yea - princeton guitar amp - no mid on this one.

I'll hook it up to a real bass amp before I go too wild.

I'll also send a note to Ned S and change the batteries too (thought of that today)

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I've had my NS CR5 now for 2 years and I must say that one of the first things I tried to do, was change the strings and it does make a big difference!

So, I did feel that the G string especially was ...well not exactly weak, but "inadequate" - it didn't have the tone of a Double Bass - it was a fretless BG and so when I got it, I tended to use the other strings more.

I was recommended Pirastro Flexocors (Orchestral) for a darker sound and it was a whole new world for me - the G string espcially was so much better than the stock strings and exuded quality and just the sort of tone I had hoped for!! :)

I always think you get what you pay for - and these strings were pretty expensive compared with even the most expensive BG strings I had bought before - but you can certainly hear the quality of the strings that you use on the NS basses - especially with the piezo pickups.

I now really love playing the G string on my EUB and it is a joy to play - even high up - whereas before it was more like a BG.

This may not work for you - but just thought my experience might help...?

7. Bruce Lindfield

Ah! :meh:

I only read this after writing my previous post!

Firstly - it's not the batteries - you'll know when they go!! ;) Distortion, then nothing - no sound!!

But you do need a good bass amp to get a decent sound out of these EUBs. So, I have taken mine to a couple of Summerschools and often you are in situations on stage where they say - just use the bass amp that's there and a poor amp means it's almost not worth playing to me - it just doesn't sound anything like DB - but good "Hi Fi" bass gear can get you close to an amplified DB sound - my EA VL208 Cab makes a big difference! :)

8. Blue

Blue Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2004
    Central NC
    Are these suitable for the Mag pups too?

I'll give them a call.

9. Bruce Lindfield

Wel, they have metal content - but you can just use the piezos on their own - I prefer that sound!