1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Wedge Monitor

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Doley50, Mar 26, 2013.

1. Doley50

Doley50

Sep 4, 2005
    Hello,

My band is almost ready to start playing out, We play a mixture of Rock/Pop cover songs. It a four piece band Bass, Drums,Guitar and Vox.
    We are going going to be using QSC K12 with a Mackie ProFX 16 board
    We have not decided on subs yet, but we are going to have them. I plan on using my Zoom B3 going direct into the board to eliminate my need for an Amp.
    My question is, even through the FOH P.A. is going to provide a nice sound, I still feel that I am going to need a monitor, should I look for something that can handle bass Freq. like a 12" inch driver, or do you think in I'll get enough bass signal from the FOH, were I just need to worry about Vox and some Gtr?
    I realize that this question is so subjective, maybe a better way to say it is this, if you run your signal direct only, what are you using for a powered monitor, IEMs, while are very attractive, I would rather wait until, the band funds are paying for this, rather then making the investment now.

Thank for you input

John

2. In ears are the way to go in my opinion. All you need is a headphone amp to run the monitor send into and then headphone extension cables to run to your spot on the stage. You won't be conflicting with your FOH sound and I'm assuming you won't miss the rumble too much since you were planning on amp less anyway.

3. tbirdsp

tbirdsp

Sep 18, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    There is no way you are going to be able to hear your bass well enough just from the FOH sound, even with subs.

So what is the rest of the band doing for monitors? Is the guitarst also ampless? Does the drummer play an acoustic kit or electronic?

BTW - I have that same board and it has worked well.

4. HYBRID APERION

HYBRID APERION

Feb 6, 2008
    I totally agree with tbirdsp,and not to be mean spirited about it but I would say its not important what the rest of the band does(gear wise) YOU are the bass player,and you have to have a vision for YOUR sound as that bass player! You never wanna be louder than anyone else in the band,BUT you do wanna be comfortable at the gig and always hear what youre doing! Remember it always takes more air to move bass frequencies...more power,more speaker....I use a small amp AND I.E.M's...and theres never a question whether I can hear myself or not,so I then can relax,play and have fun....don't let anyone in the band tell you any of this can't be done either!!

5. claytitan

claytitan

Mar 12, 2008
    Tennessee
    I would suggest a very good wedge at minimum. Personally I would go with a small bass combo. I like to have quick control over my sound. Something like the Markbass CMD 102p would probably work great for you. Of course you need a monitor for vocals and a little guitar as well.

6. You’ll be able to hear the lowest frequencies from the house subs. You mainly need the upper-frequency definition from your monitor, which you can easily get from one with an 8- or 10-inch woofer. I’m using the non-powered version of the EV ZXA1.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Administrator, Pedulla Club #45
    Administrator, Tobias Club
    Big Cabs Club #23
    My Rig: Stage and FOH Friendly

7. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass Supporting Member

May 10, 2006
    You might check into Greenboy's new Fearless 110 cab. Very small footprint, weighs about 31 lbs. Takes up to 500-600 watts and can get as loud as a high end 210 or super 12. This will also serve you well for those gigs where you might not have PA support. Judging from your gear, it would work well.

Info here: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/bad-fearless-110-greenboy-goes-even-smaller-950735/

Here's a pic:

Attached Files:

8. Jerry Ziarko

Jerry Ziarko Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    If you want to make it simple, pick up another K12 for your monitor. It will do all you'll need and more.

9. TimmyP

TimmyP

Nov 4, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    A friend just got some of the powered Yammies as mains for his baby system. He says that they sound very good, and as monitors they get LOUD.

10. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Have you talked to the drummer about going ampless? If you go ampless, he will also need a really good monitor to hear you.

I have played only hearing myself through the FOH. I was on the opposite side of the stage from my amp and behind it while we where having PA issues. It sucks, but it can be done.

11. Doley50

Doley50

Sep 4, 2005
    After serious consideration and taking into account your suggestions, I am going to use my amp and run direct out of my Zoom b3, and use a wedge mainly for the other instruments. I was hoping I could avoid using an amp, but at this time I don't think that is possible.
    I'am wondering now if I could spit my bass out put signal pre Zoom and Amp I guess a small two channel mixer would do the trick? IDK more research.